Doubles setup recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tantram

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all.

I'm looking for a little advice here.

I'm a shorter guy (5' 7") with a bad back and bad right shoulder and have really enjoyed sidemount for those reasons (tanks hitting my head or legs, and isolation valve access if too high, carrying lots of weight, etc). However, my friends are jumping into the GUE pool and I'd really like to join them .. so it looks like I'm going to give this whole doubles thing a go and see if I can make it work. The main reason being I am interested in learning to be a better dive team member and expand my skills. Even if it means ditching double after learning in favor of sidemount again, I think it would be valuable.

What doubles setup strikes a good balance between not too long and not too heavy? What size would you recommend? Are there any setup tricks for reducing weight? I feel like every little bit matters for me. My friends all stack double water heaters onto their backs and it hurts just watching.

What are some tricks to dealing with a bad right shoulder and valve access? I'm concerned that especially in a drysuit the reach will be painful.

For you probably twin 10s. You could get a kydex or carbon backplate but that’ll only reduce it by 3-4 lbs. use aluminium tanks, but then you’d need more lead

He’s in the US. For new or easily available used tanks, you have a choice of HP80s, which is my setup (I’m 5’5”) or LP95s. They are about 4”-5” longer than the HP80s.

There are LP50s, but not enough capacity for tech.

I’m doing the HP80s also due to iffy knees. Pic is from pool session this winter to give you an idea of length.
F6AC2D4E-2064-44B2-9764-80816179724D.jpeg

Note - the HP80s are an unusual choice and they may very well not be considered kosher by the local GUE instructors. Maybe talk with them to get their suggestions.

I tiny sidemount AL40 or LP50, and play with tiny doubles, 2x AL40s. No issues on my mobility, but 2x normal tank looks painfully heavy, and I shore dive.

If your buddies are doing 2 dives per setup _and_ you can bring along 2x tiny doubles that should make your carried mass much easier. I find twin AL40s very similar to a single tank on bulk.

AL40s are also more back light, so less roll tendency. LP50s would give more gas, but more roll tendency, which might be good in preping you for more normal twins, say LP85s, but not as sweet on stability. But a bit more gas... :).

On valve drills, eventually I plan to take fundies for its skills, but for now intend on using progressive equalization for my doubles. Some threads on it here. It means no frantic valve drill, but rather a rebalancing periodically after switching to the necklace. Progressive equalization might get you a more leisurely valve manipulation setup, as you ease into doubles. Or just run them as independent doubles, though that modifies your response to buddy OOG.

AL40 are also handy later on. Either is handy for tiny sidemount.

I agree with Marie: talk to a local GUE instructor and share your concerns.

Is it even worth jeopardizing your back for the sake of learning "team diving" with your buddies? Maybe there are other ways to accomplish that goal.

@Tantram

Do you specifically want to go tech or just dive a doubles set up? Your post wasn’t totally clear.

@Tantram

Do you specifically want to go tech or just dive a doubles set up? Your post wasn’t totally clear.

Good question, and thanks for asking. At this point, I am interested in going the tech route in the future but don't think I'm ready for it right now. If going the tech route I'm not limiting that to doubles. I'm looking to increase my exposure to different types of diving and improve my skills right now.

I would definitely talk to one of the local instructors and get their recommendation. You’re most likely not the first one who has come to them with physical issues.

What doubles setup strikes a good balance between not too long and not too heavy?

Many choices. It all depends on how much gas you need.

* You can set up a single cylinder with an H valve and still learn the drills. There are a number of disadvantages, and not all instructors will permit that setup. There is less redundancy because both regs depend on the same neck O-ring and dip tube, and the valves and regs are not as optimally positioned as with an actual twinset and will tend to hit the BC in the wrong spot and pose problems for hose routing and length.
* Double LP50s are sometimes advocated for solo diving and for divers who want to use doubles on all dives so they don't need a regset set up for singles. "Tiny doubles."
* Double LP72s are OK for training and for solo diving if you can find a matched pair cheaply. I have an LP72 twinset I use for solo dives. 6.9" bands are hard to find but they do exist
* Double LP85s work too, again, you have to find 6.9" bands
* You can use HP80s but few do. They have the advantage of being very short.
* HP100s are perhaps the smallest size considered suitable for technical dives. I have two sets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom