DR Optima

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbj7:
Where did "27 cu.ft." tanks come from? 45 cu.ft. is enormous for a recreational CCR - over 6 litres, compared with the Inspiration's 3 litres. Can't imagine why they should be so big, as short of a big problem (with equipment or diver) they'll way outlast the scrubber.

Way more then needed. I would consider them your bailout on recreational dives. But, Maybe they have other reasons.

peterbj7:
Where did "27 cu.ft." tanks come from? 45 cu.ft. is enormous for a recreational CCR - over 6 litres, compared with the Inspiration's 3 litres. Can't imagine why they should be so big, as short of a big problem (with equipment or diver) they'll way outlast the scrubber.
Sorry, two different threads going on and I think I have them crossed.

According to DRE, the unit comes with "PST Scuba DOT-approved, 27 cu.ft. @ 2640 psi hot-dipped galvanized steel cylinders (Quantity two)". I think that's +/- 4.3 liters, but someone check me on that.

Separately, I've been discussing with someone what it would take for a recreational diver to be able to support bailout on the unit itself rather than slinging stage bottles. That's where the discussion of the 45s came in, I got the input that the unit may hold two PST 45 cu ft LP tanks (just over 7 liters). I haven't gotten any info whether a suffient bailout could be mounted on the bottom of the unit (the ABS frame is still a work in progress).

Sorry for any confusion. I've already gotten feedback that what I'm looking at doing isn't kosher for a RB, but I'm not dropping 8K+ on something that won't do exactly what I want it to. If I have to compromise, I can compromise a lot cheaper than that. :eyebrow:

The tanks have been selected for the following reasons.

Dil: basically it is designed to be self contained for the full range of NDL profiles, so with that much on board dil you can bail out comfortably to the surface from any point without the need to have a sling tank.

O2: Reduced risk associated with HP o2. You can fill via trans-filling to quite low pressure (1500 psi) and still have enough gas for 3 x 1 hour dives with heaps left over.

Balance - it makes the unit near neutral and balanced in the water.

From this point of view its layout regarding the placement of mass is very similar to the azimuth SCR, which has great balance and buoyancy characteristics.

This all came from a presentation on the unit I went to on the weekend with Lamar in Sydney (Oztek4)

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom