Dreading Wed. night class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Want to thank everyone for their responses and give you an update. Pool lessons are over and only next Wed.night we will have our written test. I did not complete the pool sessions and will be going back in July to complete that portion of the class. I am also getting one on one instruction at my pool at home. My son succssfully completed the pool instruction and is heading to the quarry in Bethlehem PA for this cert.
I had to accept the fact that I need more time and instruction on a one to one basis. I am confident that I will complete the instruction....confident enough that I went out and bought my own mask, fins and snorkel. Got them yesterday and as soon as I leave work today I'm going in the pool.

So again, thanks to EVERYONE who has given me encouragement. Will keep you all posted on how I'm doing.

Yea Beej! Good to see your good spirit along with your cautions...! :D

Beej1123:
I had to accept the fact that I need more time and instruction on a one to one basis. I am confident that I will complete the instruction....

this is actually good news. it means you will earn more confidence in yourself and be better prepared when you
(shortly) get your card. way to hang in there.

i was very dissapointed when i did not complete my
intro. to cave class on my first try, but it did highlight
my shortcomings and things i needed to work on, and
i believe it has made me a better diver.

again, congratz!

No , what I am referring to is proper training.

Also, my hard earned money ...

Yes, I understand everyones learning curves are different.

I happen to be part fish and take to diving very easily.. I am also very patient. But when the whole class time and pool time is spent coddling people who spend more time on deck than in the pool , it robs me of my learning. What about me ??

If people want a private one-on-one training they can do it on their own time and own dime.

All of this coddling you people are doing is ridiculous.

You are encouraging someone to risk their lives and health telling them it'll be ok, don't cry..

No wonder this world is full of wimps!

I am also talking form personal experience..

If your ears hurt DONT DIVE !

What I am mostly referring to is the amount of time taken away from people like me who are comfortable in the water..

This is a serious sport and is NOT FOR EVERYONE.. Just because you WANT to dive does not make you a diver..

You put everyone at risk ! So , stop coddling people. I would NEVER yell at someone or berate them or make them feel uncomfortable...

My whole point is that if you have gone through your classes, and cant dive because of lack of skill , comfortability or ear problems , save yourself the money and me the aggravation..

mcm007:
If people want a private one-on-one training they can do it on their own time and own dime.

Didn't Beej just say that is what he is going to do?

mcm007:
I would NEVER yell at someone or berate them or make them feel uncomfortable...

Um, not to be rude, but that kinda seems like what you are trying to do at this point. We are all here to support each other, I thought that was the point of "online communities" like this?

Yeah, it was easy for me, too. It's not always easy for all, of course. My feelings remains, more than ever...

DandyDon:
Yea Beej! Good to see your good spirit along with your cautions...! :D

And I agree with Cowprintrabbit's feelings. mcm007 is welcome to his feelings, but expressing the ones he has here is really unacceptable for this forum. I know that you're new here, guy, but this ain't Boot Camp.

Good luck, Beej! Keep it safe, and keep it fun, but most of all - keep at what you want!

What I am mostly referring to is the amount of time taken away from people like me who are comfortable in the water..
Well it sounds as if you don't even need an instructor, so why would you need more of their time? It would be best at this point to practice the skills you have just acquired and WATCH what the instructor is doing with the other student JUST IN CASE you might actually learn something from it.

As an instructor, I would rather have everyone in the class take their time and work through issues then to act like there is nothing to learn in the class. The fact is, in OW time just blowing bubbles is time well spent. Why worry about the failings of others... look for your own failings first. Most new divers are NOT as good as they think they are. Some "old" divers fit in that same category. The ocean is a vindictive mistress... one mistake and you will pay dearly. Don't decry the fear you see in others... it's a self rpeservation mechanism that you might not possess.

Finally I want you to know something important: you people who think you have it "all together" really bother the few of us who do! :eyebrow:

Again , this coddling ....

I think diving standards should be stricter. You are probably the people who cant drive either.

This has nothing to do with my level of diving. I am just referring to all of the people attempting learning to dive. I had a bad experience in my class obviously. I spent more time blowing bubbles.. I have had the fortune of learning to dive many years ago and have had numerous dives prior to certification, perhaps advancing my skills more... I am a defender of other people..

I too, am totally entitled to my opinion under the First Ammendment tot he Constitution.

Those who dont like my opinion can bite me! I think there should be stricter standardsin diving ; even before you get into the pool..

mcm007:
.. I am a defender of other people..

ok, PLEASE dont' defend me, as I perceive you to be
one of those people in the category of "best ally of
your allies' enemies"

mcm007:
I too, am totally entitled to my opinion under the First Ammendment tot he Constitution

for the gizillionth time, NO ONE has 1st Amendment
rights in a private forum such as ScubaBoard.

Please inform yourself about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights before you bandy them about.

mcm007:
those who dont like my opinion can bite me!

ah... no thanks...

hmmm.. on second thought, maybe i will, but i will need to
get my rabies shots before i bite you, just in case

:eyebrow:

Hmnnnn... in one post you say you are "patient" and yet you show very little evidence of patience or compassion in any of your posts or actions. This is a conundrum to be sure.

I would suggest that you not take up teaching this great sport, or if you have, that you take a closer look at your motivation. There are three things you need in addition to the requisite skills of diving and instruction, and those are patience, patience and even more patience. There are no "deadlines" for learning and even for "fish", there is a lot of benefit to learn to SLOW DOWN and just blow bubbles. I have had way too many “fish” in my classes who think they can do it all faster than everyone else and their impatience usually only serves to CAUSE more problems. In reality, these "fish" usually turn out to be the most dangerous divers in our sport. They think they understand concepts when they don't and they just can't understand why everyone else is so slow. The fact is, those "slow people" are really internalizing what is happening... not just assuming that they got it. The slow people turn out to be the safest divers... and they don't beat up the reefs either, because their discipline to learn this "dangerous sport" right in the first place helped them to master their skills... not just do them as quickly as possible to get a card.

But now that you mention it… I drive like that too: with courtesy and respect, and not putting others at risk in the name of saving a few of my precious seconds. I use my turn signals and while I might exceed the speed limit from time to time, I am not hell bent on pushing the speed envelope either. If you are in a hurry, you can expect me to make room for you. I surely don’t want some impatient driver with his front bumper pointed towards me! Yikes! But you can expect me to stop and help when that same driver causes an accident. He’ll blame someone else for it, but most of us know better.

Have a great day... and dive and drive safely.

As for your opinion... yes, fools are protected under our great Constitution. That doesn't change what they are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom