drinking at depth ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i know the mermaids at Weeki Wachee drink under water (yes, highly
scientific source, i know). i read somewhere that they have to "exhale"
into the bottle to force the water into their mouths.
The reason for exhaling into the bottle is to replace the water you have drunk. Otherwise you collapse the bottle as you drink, then the elasticity of the bottle will cause it to expand a bit after you take your mouth off the bottle, and it will suck in some sea water. If you don't exhale into the bottle, you'll only be able to drink a bit less than 1/2 of a half-liter bottle before it gets saltwater inside.

The CapriSun foil packs collapse as you drink, so you don't have to go through any contortions.

The little cardboard juice boxes are kind of in between CapriSun and half liter water bottles in ease of use.

I drink a Capri Sun around the 60 minute point on dives that I expect to last longer than 90 minutes. I like the "sugar hit" in addition to quenching my thirst.

On shorter dives, I just suck in some seawater, gargle and spit.

vertaqua:
Whether its safe to drink underwater I'm not quite sure. I'd think that you'd want to be as upright as possible so you don't choke.
I have no problem drinking while horizontal. You will be momentarily be closing your airway as you swallow, but it's only for an instant, so it isn't really a problem. To be on the safe side I never ascend while drinking.

I drank blue grotto.

-V

Hi Kray Z,

Good question--I'd never pondered that. Very likely because I'm a dedicated WWW ; )

Along with adding another potential point of leakage/failure to the system, especially as regards the after-market Bio-Filter, yes, I suspect that the mechanism might be prone to ice crystal formation.

Hasta.

DocVikingo

yeah i agree, yet it would be a nice comfort for when i forget to hydrate so well before the dive :D, but i would rather be a cottonmouthed diver suckin on a juicebox than a comfortable one trying to suck on the last bit of air because of a leak that one extra o-ring that i didnt think i needed to check. :06:

"Nothing against the product, so if anyone has an opinion let me know" :D

Regarding drinking from a juice box or Capri Sun type of container: you don't have to drink it all down at once. If you use the straw, you can keep your thumb over the end of the straw while you're swimming, and drink a little bit at a time. The longer you take, however, the more sea water will slowly seep in. So it's best to "chug" the last half of it, as it will get progressively more salty. You can also do it without a straw...just bite a hole in the corner....but it's a little harder to drink that way without getting some ocean water along with it. I used to bring those things along ALL the time, as I'd be doing 3~4 dives/day quite often. Don't forget & leave the "empties" to bake in your BCD pocket, though....they can get kind of nasty & will attract ants.

for right now im just doing singles so realy no need for one but later i will pribably check out the scuda or DSS's bladder

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to risk drinking while at depth. How many times have individuals taken a sip out of a glass only to have the contents go down the wrong pipe and cause you to cough like there is no tomorrow. Just doesn't seem to be worth the risk to take your reg out, take a sip and .....

thats tru for the rec diver but for some of the longer dives it could be neccesary in order to prevent worse than coughing.. i wouldnt want to be disoriented or week because of dehydration in the middle of a cave or wreck dive. but i suppose you could really hydrate before hand. i guess ill just have to try it at shallow depths to see if it is really difficult...

also i think most people choke on their water because they are tilting their head back and pour from a cup where it could go anywhere.... from a straw you have more controll and decide on the pressure that wont do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom