drinking at depth ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious what happens when you take compressed air into your stomach. I mean we aren't talking about lots, just a little bit. I'm assuming if you didn't burp it up while still at depth you would while ascending (when the bubble your stomach expands along with everything else).

But, and I'm sure this would be freakish, what if the gas makes it to your large intestine? Any deco issues there, or am I just over-thinking this?

Thanks,
JB

Edit: As I think about this, it seems to me that I do plenty of swallowing when diving to keep my throat wet and I'm sure I get compressed air in my stomach then, but the question stands.

no deco probs because you dont really absorb the nitrogen that fast from your stomache... mostly because the bronchial tubes send air to the blood.. stomache does otherthings and does not really do gasses that well.. thats why we burp :)

Kray_Z:
no deco probs because you dont really absorb the nitrogen that fast from your stomache... mostly because the bronchial tubes send air to the blood.. stomache does otherthings and does not really do gasses that well.. thats why we burp :)

Right. I was focusing on the intestine. Any thoughts there?

Thanks,
JB

dont really know about that.. after all.. the intestines job is purely to absorb :) but then again... theres gas that comes out the other end too :)

Ha. That's the first thing I thought of too, but if the bubble expands too rapidly... Or if the bubble has been partially consumed.

RockPile:
I'm curious what happens when you take compressed air into your stomach. I mean we aren't talking about lots, just a little bit. I'm assuming if you didn't burp it up while still at depth you would while ascending (when the bubble your stomach expands along with everything else).

But, and I'm sure this would be freakish, what if the gas makes it to your large intestine? Any deco issues there, or am I just over-thinking this?
Same thing that happens if you are at depth so long that the normal digestive process generates some additional gas. You eliminate it on the way up. If you're wearing a drysuit, please step downwind before unzipping. :)

VinceDS:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to risk drinking while at depth. How many times have individuals taken a sip out of a glass only to have the contents go down the wrong pipe and cause you to cough like there is no tomorrow. Just doesn't seem to be worth the risk to take your reg out, take a sip and .....
If you cough, you cough. No big deal. I'm very comfortable removing my reg and drinking, the same way I'm comfortable removing the reg and sucking in a bit of water to gargle and get rid of dry mouth.

Sometimes during an ascent and stops, I'll take out my reg, roll over to face upward and blow bubble rings. Just for fun.

I don't see any signficant risk if one is comfortable in the water.

yeah that was my point... i think if you are scared to do it dont.. if its no big deal.. then it isnt :)

Kray_Z:
thats tru for the rec diver but for some of the longer dives it could be neccesary in order to prevent worse than coughing.. i wouldnt want to be disoriented or week because of dehydration in the middle of a cave or wreck dive. but i suppose you could really hydrate before hand. i guess ill just have to try it at shallow depths to see if it is really difficult...

also i think most people choke on their water because they are tilting their head back and pour from a cup where it could go anywhere.... from a straw you have more controll and decide on the pressure that wont do this.

I do many longer dives w/ deco obligations. Longest run time was 88 minutes and never felt the need to drink. However, I do hydrate 'like there is no tomorrow' for two days prior to a deco dive:wink: From many of the things I have read on hydration, to be well hydrated, you need to start several days prior to a dive. Drinking right before a dive, again, from what I have read on the subject, will do little.

Kray_Z:
yeah that was my point... i think if you are scared to do it dont.. if its no big deal.. then it isnt :)

Has nothing to do w/ being scared. I take my reg out pleany of times during dives when switching gases. No big deal. Was more wondering what would happen if you were drinking and had the fluid go down the wrong pipe. Could cause a severe reflex. Sorry, but things like this, when I put them into relation to the type of diving I do, tend to make me analyze to the n'th degree from a 'how could this cause me to mess up big.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom