Drones... do you have one, which one and why???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a drone on my recent motorcycle trip....it does add a neat perspective...

I'll get the make and model....cost about $1500.00 and operated by an app on your phone, in our instance, an android.

Yep, it's the dji Mavic Pro. There's a new one out called Spark that's smaller with more features.

Last edited:
We had a drone on my recent motorcycle trip....it does add a neat perspective...

I'll get the make and model....cost about $1500.00 and operated by an app on your phone, in our instance, an android.
There's a picture of the drone at 1:15 in the video. It's a DJI Mavic, the same model @The Chairman was talking about.

We have a DJI Phantom III and we love it... we own 350 acres and we are able to fly it all over here. We have taken it on dive trips and on liveaboards but have been very careful not to disrupt other people. We were on a boat with a guy who had 2 drones and flew them constantly. There was a constant whine from whatever drone he was flying, so it became very annoying. He was also a pretty crappy pilot so he would sometimes crash the drone into the top deck when he landed, so we would all grab pillows and cover our heads when he got it anywhere near the boat. This has made us leave our drone at home for most trips... it was so irritating. Don't be that guy :wink:

Funny story for anyone who flies off a boat...the drone has a feature to return to original take off gps point when battery gets low. My husband was bringing it down for a landing when the low battery alarm sounded and it shot straight up into the air hitting the wire coming off the mast. Luckly it spun around it and crashed to the floor... long story short it was heading back to the original point which we had swung away from. Turn this feature off before you fly off moving object.

Amazon has a combo for the Spark at $699.00. I think I'll grab one....release date June 15th.

OK... here's my first video. It's taken this morning with my Mavic Pro and is completely unedited!

interesting, I guess the camera stabilizer results in the props getting into the shot sometimes. Amazingly steady footage.

interesting, I guess the camera stabilizer results in the props getting into the shot sometimes. Amazingly steady footage.
I tried a different hood and we're seeing that. If the batteries are charged, I'm going to try again.

At about the 45 second point, the top half of the image goes dark. What caused that? (I don't fly a drone, so I am being curious, not critical.)

I use drone to generate point clouds. Super cool. Still new at it and learning post processing. As a newbie, i got my first cheap toy drone for flight trials and fov trainings. Crashed it beyong repair. Then got the hubsan model with a 1080p camera but no gimbal, no fov. But its stable, u can fly indoors. Eying the dji spark now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom