Dry glove help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compared to what? I mean, your experience with what other system?
Dive concepts, Virgo, ellipse others that I can’t remember the names of. The Antaries are easy once you really look at how they work, once in alignment I index them with a circle and groove so when I put them on I align them and have not had a single issue yet, since last summer at least. I do not like the bulk of other systems but if that weren’t an issue I would have stuck with the Virgo. I don’t want to have to dig up a tool to put the system on or take it off, Antaries easily snap on and twist off.

I do use the orange inserts to keep things out of the way of the locking tabs, that’s pretty important but you put them in and forget them.

The hardest thing to do with any oval system is get the gloves aligned with the oval but it’s still many times easier than getting one glove on most of the other systems.

As far as delicate tabs are concerned, while they do stick out and look easy to damage I have yet to damage one, I’m betting the same force required to break one would render an aluminum set permanently out of service. I just carry a spare set of mounted gloves with my undergarments.

The O-rings are small but easily replaced, lube them, keep the grit off of them and they work perfectly.

Antaries are great, if you get everything right, I’m back to using them exclusively.

One need only be smarter than the equipment they are working on.

I had a good laugh over this. I used to use the Antaries as well. Once I switched to the Ultima system there was no going back. A 3 year old is smarter than the Ultima system. No alignment, no twisting, no struggle, and above all no leaks. I can put them on and take them off blindfolded and never have a leak. To compare the two is just silly. The Ultima wins this comparison every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I had a good laugh over this. I used to use the Antaries as well. Once I switched to the Ultima system there was no going back. A 3 year old is smarter than the Ultima system. No alignment, no twisting, no struggle, and above all no leaks. I can put them on and take them off blindfolded and never have a leak. To compare the two is just silly. The Ultima wins this comparison every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Did the Antaries leak? Once there are no leaks how is one better than the other?

They leaked about 10% of the time. It's like comparing a paper airplane to a Boeing. With the Ultima rings you can utilize any glove you choose, not some crap pvc blue smurf glove. My Ultima rings have leaked 0% of the time. No tabs to line up, no worry about reaching and having a glove come unlocked. I can go on and on. Other than being a dry glove system (if you can call it that when it doesn't always keep your hands dry) there is no comparing to two.

They leaked about 10% of the time. It's like comparing a paper airplane to a Boeing. With the Ultima rings you can utilize any glove you choose, not some crap pvc blue smurf glove. My Ultima rings have leaked 0% of the time. No tabs to line up, no worry about reaching and having a glove come unlocked. I can go on and on. Other than being a dry glove system (if you can call it that when it doesn't always keep your hands dry) there is no comparing to two.
Once again once there are no leaks and I have no leaks, I don’t use blue gloves, one set in mounted with black thick rubber ant the other is mounted black 6000 series gloves, but I’m much older than 3 so it works for me.

I have intended to try the Ultima though, don’t they come with a tool for pulling the rings apart?

Yes, but the tool is not needed.

I haven't used a rubber or pvc glove in over 2 years. I use nitrile gloves which you can not mount to the Antaries system. Specifically the showa 720r. I also have so much faith in the Ultima system that I have not used a wrist seal on my suit since I have owned them. There are plenty of people that do the same. There is no point in a wrist seal if you know the glove will never leak.

Yes, but the tool is not needed.

I haven't used a rubber or pvc glove in over 2 years. I use nitrile gloves which you can not mount to the Antaries system. Specifically the showa 720r. I also have so much faith in the Ultima system that I have not used a wrist seal on my suit since I have owned them. There are plenty of people that do the same. There is no point in a wrist seal if you know the glove will never leak.
That’s a leap I haven’t taken, I do cut my seals way back and I don’t think they would hold much water back but there is always the nagging feeling that something may fail. I like my thick rubber gloves ( Viking) for the added insulation factor but they are stupid expensive, 660 ESD are my primary gloves, the first consideration for me is that they are black. Why nitrile?

I dive the 720's to 50 degrees with no liners. Below that I'll wear a liner. They do not transfer temperature like rubber or pvc. They are also more puncture, tear, and abrasive resistant that the others. Over 250 dives on my 720's, not a single issue. That speaks for itself because I am not easy on my gear. Grab a coffee or 10 and go read the Ultima dry glove thread here. It's something like 103 pages of information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom