Dry gloves in DIR/GUE world....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of the Viking Bayonet style gloves. I really like them. As said before, they are very easy and cheap to replace a glove with if it fails, and they are pretty easy to don and doff. The older Viking gloves are pretty popular in the Great Lakes as well, but I've yet to see someone put them on by themselves without swearing :wink:

I have a custom DUI suit w/o zip seals, and I asked them to make the sleeves about 2" shorter than normal to give room for the seals, and it has worked out well for me. I have also rented a stock sized suit with zip seals, and they worked ok, but the rings and zips took up a bit of space on my arm, but I didn't find it an encumberance. I'm 6'6", so it might not be the same with someone with shorter forearms.

I use some wool army surplus gloves underneath, and put a piece of tubing in the wrist seal to equalize the gloves. I eventually got tired of putting two gloves on because it takes too long on a pitching boat, or a hot summer day.

Tom

I've only seen the top one. I would assume the bottom one is newer. It looks mostly cosmetic to me, but I dunno.

Tom

I've only seen the top one. I would assume the bottom one is newer. It looks mostly cosmetic to me, but I dunno.

Tom

Tom,

I got off the phone with DUI and they told me that the bottom one is newer than the other, more streamline in my opinion.

I saw it at my LDS and will pick it up to install in on my zip zeal latex wrist seal. From the video it appear I can do it without a problem.

Then all I need is a pair of si tech gloves with liners and I will have a detachable set of dry gloves for my next dive.

Hopefully the inner ring that attaches to the latex wrist seal gives me enough space that I don't feel any discomfort.

Does anyone recommend a special tubing for equalization, or will a simple starbucks coffee stirrer straw do the trick?

Thanks,

MG

Does anyone recommend a special tubing for equalization, or will a simple starbucks coffee stirrer straw do the trick?

I just leave the thumb loops of my undergarment on my thumbs. That way they sit under the wrist seal and allow air back and forth.

Henrik

I just leave the thumb loops of my undergarment on my thumbs. That way they sit under the wrist seal and allow air back and forth.

Henrik

I used to do that. No longer. If the glove leaks, the suit floods much more quickly than with some type of small straw in place. Plus, if it's a bad tear, I can always twist off the dry glove and pull out the straw (have done this once).

So no particular straw, just a simple coffee stir is all that is needed... Wow, that is very simple, does it let in enough air to keep your hand warm and for equalization?

It doesn't matter what it is as long as it breaks the seal even slightly. I've used leaves, grass, twigs (don't particularly recommend those), bungie, cave line, and a few others that I can't remember. They all work although some are more comfortable than others. I like soft, floppy things like the bungies. Stiffer materials like twigs or coffee stir sticks or straws tend to dig in when moving the wrist around.

If you have really ropy tendons in your wrists, you may not need anything. If my gloves get poofy, all I have to do is bend my wrist to equalize the pressure.

Cave line works well, and is easy to pull out if you tear a glove. Most of the time I don't use anything in less than 100' of water; the squeeze actually gives me more dexterity in the bulky PVC gloves and they don't balloon up on the ascent.

I really appreciate all of your answers. Seems like Boyle's Law can take it's toll on drygloves that have a wrist latex seal, I've not had that problem since the Compressed neoprene gloves have no dam, just an even exchange of Argon from suit to glove.

I guess that is why my hands have remained so incredibly warm, I hope I run into the similar warmth from the SI Tech gloves. It will be very interesting for me to experience the difference and now I'm more confident in my choice of gloves because of all of you.

Thanks,

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom