Dry gloves in DIR/GUE world....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try it without the equalizing tube at least once. I did many dives with a tube before forgetting once. No problems. I haven't used one since...and I can use the old style Viking gloves without swearing!

I used to do that. No longer. If the glove leaks, the suit floods much more quickly than with some type of small straw in place. Plus, if it's a bad tear, I can always twist off the dry glove and pull out the straw (have done this once).

Thanks Rainer,

I figured (maybe incorrectly :wink:) that with the fairly small and flat elastic loops, a leak into my suit would be minimal. I also thought - but am rethinking - that I'd be able to remove the glove and unloop and tuck back in the thumb loop in case of glove failure. Realistically that's not the case.

I can see how a piece of cave line or similar - maybe with a loop around my thumb so it positions itself correctly when donning the suit - would be much much easier to remove if necessary.

Henrik

I really don't recommend coffee stirrers. They are too pointy and hard. In really cold water, I really recommend using something to equalize the gloves. It's nice on a deco stop to be able to raise your arms up and get some nice warm air going to the fingers. Plus, the gloves need a bit of loft to fully insulate.

I have been using some flexible aquarium tubing cut into 2" strips. I recently got some Crush resistant Oxygen tubing that I'm going to try out. Mike, if you send me your mailing addy I'll send you a couple pieces.

For gloves, do a search for Atlas gloves on SB or TDS. You can get them on Ebay or places like Seattle Marine for $2-3 a pair.

Tom

...and I can use the old style Viking gloves without swearing!

:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:
Madd Skillz

usually you can just use a little bit of bungee. the cracks it forms on the sides of it are enough to equalize the gloves. doesn't need to be hollow.

Since no one has mentioned liners, I recommend getting rid of the bulky yellows mitt and replace with a better liner.

I use the Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch. They even have woman's gloves too (for those slender fingers).

Since no one has mentioned liners, I recommend getting rid of the bulky yellows mitt and replace with a better liner.
I buy the DC gloves with the built in yellow mitts. They are easiest to deal with (don't have to mess with a glove within a glove). When the pile of the gloves are gone, I cut them out of the glove and use gloves similar to what you posted.

I use the Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch. They even have woman's gloves too (for those slender fingers).

I get the green wool liners at a local Army surplus store for about $4 a pair. They're warm enough for Puget Sound all year round ... even when wet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I buy the DC gloves with the built in yellow mitts. They are easiest to deal with (don't have to mess with a glove within a glove).

I used to use those, because they're convenient. But they don't give me the dexterity my current setup does (which is important when you need to push small buttons on a camera housing) ... and they stink worse than a locker room after they've been worn a few times ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I used to use those, because they're convenient. But they don't give me the dexterity my current setup does (which is important when you need to push small buttons on a camera housing)
I found them to be the best because the glove wouldn't slide inside the glove. But my video camera buttons were big. :wink:

... and they stink worse than a locker room after they've been worn a few times ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
very true

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom