Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the DC catalog it appears to me that with the ring system (as opposed to their glove that comes with a built in wrist seal) you are either wearing a latex wrist gasket or a dry glove. I have been wearing just the glove but someone mentioned that if the glove fails my suit will flood and that I should have wrist seals also. I don't see a way to wear both, am I missing something?

On a side note, I have a well fitting compressed neoprene suit (allowing only so much water past the shoulder) so I think a failed dry glove will be a chilly inconvience as opposed to a catastrophic situation.

gaustad once bubbled...
I don't see a way to wear both, am I missing something?
Though I don't know if it works with neoprene seals.

With latex seals you can install the suit side rings into the seal in such a way that the seal doubles back to the inside and still seals around your wrist.

lal7176, I was hoping you were using the neoprene glove set as I curious to see how they performed. I'm thinking the neoprene may be a little warmer, but more expensive to replace than the rubber gloves. Thanks, Ron

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
I was hoping you were using the neoprene glove set as I curious to see how they performed.
...as was mentioned before... the blue gloves are easier to see for hand signals... especially true here in the often dark at depth at noon PNW.

Hey ColdH20Diving, I am using the neo DC gloves in Puget Sound without the liner and they are comfy. My hands haven't been cold since I got them (although it's been a pretty warm winter here) If your hands get wet between dives, they are still warm once you put the gloves back on. I had a problem on the start of a dive, the ring wasn't snapped correctly and the glove flooded( OK, that water is cold), took the glove off and squeezed out the water, put it back on(totally wet on the inside) and did two hour long dives; my hands were not at all cold. Without the liner they have equal if not better dexterity(a little bit) than the blue gloves, with the liner, they start to feel like 5 mil wetsuit gloves.

Well luckily for me after reading everyone's posts about the SI Tech gloves vs the DC gloves, I was able to call the shop and cancel the SI Tech gloves and go with the DC gloves. Even the guys in the shop told me to stay away from the SI Tech gloves and that the DC gloves are much better. Now it's just a matter of picking the pretty orange gloves of the pretty blue ones....

Decisions......Decisions.........=-) :wink: :eek:ut: :D :)

Jeff, Thanks for the feedback on the DC gloves. Most of my diving is done in Puget Sound and Vancouver Island. Presently I wear a 3mm glove, my hands don't really get too cold even when diving during the winter months. UP brings up a valid point regarding the brighter colored gloves being better for hand signals. That would be benificial to me when working with students. The neoprene seems like they'd be more comfortable on deeper dives as I imagine the squeeze less noticable.

Took the new DUI-450 to the pool on Sunday. It was great to come out dry. To wash off the chlorine I wore it into the changing room at the pool and took a shower with it on; got some funny looks. Took a little getting use to, kind of like trying to stay perched on top of a bubble but I think I will be able to do so subconsciously after a few dives. The custom fit 450 was a big improvement over the crushed neoprene suit I used for training.

It was so great to come out of the water dry! As the next logical step, I called COVCI today and ordered the DC dry glove system. Thanks to the board again for another great TIP! They were great to work with, patiently explaining sizing and the difference between the blue gloves and crush neoprene. I went with the crushed neoprene for now. They’re supposed to be here in 7 to 10 days, so I’ll have them in time for the opening of Millbrook in April, all warm an toasty on the next expedition to the mysterious bus.

I guess the next step is a full-face mask and then I’ll be ready for Lake Superior this summer.

Mike

MikeS,
I just got a BARE ATM Light drysuit last month. I would like to add some cold water drysuit gloves to this rig - can I use the DC gloves?

Can they be 'home' installed by me? I have latex seals on my ATR suit.

Back
Top Bottom