Dry Hood Suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akforsyth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It is time for a new hood for my suit and was looking for some dry hood suggestions from the lot of you. I am diving a BAre ATR Lite with latex seals... any suggestions?:confused:

My choice (for your location) would be an attached neoprene hood, (keeping the latex neck dam).
There's a lot to be said about having the ears warm, if not dry.
If I'd have paid more attention to that years ago there probably wouldn't be a swarm of cicadas in my head now (tinnitis).:bonk:

Whites has a latex hood system that looks like it can be used with probably any drysuit with a latex neckseal. It looks somewhat midieval, I haven't tried it so I'll reserve my judgement.
[check message length]

I wear an attached latex hood, with latex neck seal (Viking HD)
Under it I wear an old detatchabel dryhood, with the seals cut back for comfort, and so the latex seals against my face.

Works for me

MikeD

ColdH20Diving asked: Mike, Do you have any problems with air escaping from your dry suit neck seal and allowing air into you hood? I like the idea of keeping my head dry, I don't know anyone using one so don't know the pro's and con's. Ron

I don't, but I have a neck like a bull dog, short, thick.
What little air gets by my neck seal I can pop by just pushing down on the top of my head.
I have heard of bubble head problems though, air balloons into the hood and makes the diver looks like a cone head.

This is solved by adding a purge valve, similar to a mask purge valve at the top of your head. ( in your hood dah!)

Viking sells them precisely for this problem.

Best regards

MikeD

picture of Mike D with attached latex hood

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom