Dry Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drink lots of water so you are well hydrated the night before and a few hours before diving. Then drink water right before diving. I know there are humidifier systems that you can add to your reg, but I am unfamiliar with them.
Good Diving!

Exactly what stakanak said! If you are well hydrated, the dry mouth isn't near as bad.

Some will throw a tic tac or piece of gum under their tonge - remember the choking hazzard.

Hydration works best, in my short experience.

Drink lots of water before, during and after.

If that doesn't work, leak some water into your 2nd stage or in your mouth while you dive. It ain't gonna kill you.

Or maybe even try a different Reg. I believe some Reg's can cause this more then others

Or as fnfalman has said simply let some water get into your mouth, Unless ocean diving then that might not be best Idea. Or depends how seriuos get creative. i have heard of some people taking drinks with them underwater some use a pack like bicyclist wear with a long hose.

Reg out (or get water in somehow).
Sip, rinse, then spit (swallow, if you like).
Reg back in and purge if you need to.

Takes maybe three seconds. FW/SW, it's not going to hurt. If you're muck diving, it's not so much fun.

First off hydration is the first step. If you should need to pee during the dive. At the very least you should have an urgent need as soon as you stand at the end. If that's not the case you are probably running a water deficit. This assumes you are diving wet. When diving dry urine production is not as escalated so there is a little more margin.

Second, start thinking about a favorite food to get the saliva flowing. Now remove the regulator and irrigate your mouth with that rush of saliva. Replace the regulator and carry on. You get a regulator R&R drill in the deal and need not intentionally ingest open water though some is inevitable.

Pete

Taking a swig of salt water is nice, but at the same time the salt has a way of trying out my mouth.

Does anyone have a good technique for spitting underwater? :doh:

Adam

Taking a swig of salt water is nice, but at the same time the salt has a way of trying out my mouth.

Does anyone have a good technique for spitting underwater? :doh:

Adam

Push it out through closed lips. I suppose it's less a "spit" than a "squirt".

thanks, ill try more water, been worried bout that as i dive dry, and the reg out is something i hadnt't thought of, will try that as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom