Dry Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a small hydration pack with tube and bite valve. Strap it to your BC or BPW route the hose with your inflator hose so it is right there when you need it. Make sure you purge all of the air out of the hydration bag before you dive and you only need a couple of sips of water, so don't overdo it.

Practice in the shallows first. It is not as straight forward as you would think to remove reg, sip and swallow between breaths, replace/clear reg.

It is so important to stay hydrated and nothing will desicate you from the inside out more than breathing 100% dry air.

Or maybe even try a different Reg. I believe some Reg's can cause this more then others .

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my reg. I have a Sherwood Maximus. It has what they call "moisture fins."
Basically what it does is collect condensation as you exhale, and allow you to breathe it back in, thus rehydrating a bit.
Check it out on Sherwood's website.

As others have said, try a metal second stage. I use an abyss and find it makes a big difference with me.

There are some good tips here. Hydration before the dive and avoiding snacks or beverages that actually do more to dehydrate us than hydrate us are often over looked and have a huge impact on us.

A metal 2nd stage or a Sherwood regulator with the heat transfer fins in the 2nd stage do wonders for helping combat dry mouth. They don't completely hydrated the air but collect condensation as you inhale and exhale. The droplets of water help make for a more comfortable dive.

I can attest first hand to the Apollo Bio filter . (Thanks Michael!) Not only is it the only product on the market that will offer a naturally humidified breath of air, something mdb didn't add about his product is you get the added bonus of the charcoal filter to help remove any contaminates that may accidentally be in your air as well.

I have just bought a set of hog regs and have noticed a significant reuction in dry mouth since changing.

I used to get out the water with my mouth bone dry and not I'm comfortable dry if that makes sense, a little moist but not wet. Hard to explain.

I know the HOG regs have a substantial all metal air tube and that helps IMHO.

Certainly has made a difference to my diving pleasure but YMMV

Back
Top Bottom