Dry Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or maybe even try a different Reg. I believe some Reg's can cause this more then others

Or as fnfalman has said simply let some water get into your mouth, Unless ocean diving then that might not be best Idea. Or depends how seriuos get creative. i have heard of some people taking drinks with them underwater some use a pack like bicyclist wear with a long hose.

just upgraded to a legend lx supreme, put titan on my pony, hope its not a reg issue, too expensive! :wink:

Take the reg out, rinse your mouth out, purge. You can also fit a water pack or something between your tanks if you're diving doubles.

The biofilter is another option but make sure to only use distilled water, not bottled water.

Taking a swig of salt water is nice, but at the same time the salt has a way of trying out my mouth.

Does anyone have a good technique for spitting underwater? :doh:

Adam

Doesn't that make you gag? When I get salt water in my mouth I usually end up almost chucking! :shakehead:

thanks, ill try more water, been worried bout that as i dive dry, and the reg out is something i hadnt't thought of, will try that as well
Don't let diving dry motivate you towards dehydration. Bite the bullet and add a pee valve. The freedom to hydrate will be paid back in spades.

Pete

If you dive dry hydration is still important and reducing hydration to prevent needing to pee will leave you at elevated risk of DCS. That will make dry mouth look mild. Add a pee valve.

Regulators with metal cases and/or metal air barrels will help reduce drymouth. The colder metal surfaces will cause exhaled moisture to condense and then that moisture will be recycled when you inhale.

Doesn't that make you gag? When I get salt water in my mouth I usually end up almost chucking! :shakehead:

I don't actually swallow the water, just enough to wet my palate, then spit it back out. Only problem is the phlem that builds up when I do this. Hope this isn't TMI!

Adam

I'm going to assume that you asked this question after just a couple of dives. If you've RECENTLY dove more than 5 times then my comment is probably not going to be helpful. But after I've been away from diving for a while, I experience the same issue. But after 5 dives or so, I suddenly remember how to salivate again while diving. I think it is a nervous response, similar to getting cotton mouth if you are uncomfortable speaking in public.

Give it a few more dives, stay hydrated, and pay attention to your salivation while diving and I think it will take care of itself. My whole family noticed this when they were recently certified and then after they got comfortable, it corrected itself and was no longer an issue.

You don't have to drink the water or even let the water go into your mouth in any quantity. Take the reg out and keep your lips closed. Now that the reg is full of water, stick it back in your mouth and block it with your tongue then hit the purge just like you were taught in OW. Now that the reg is slightly wet, it'll keep the supplied air moist for a bit and give you some dry mouth relief.

Repeat as needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom