Dry suit undergarments - lossless washing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

I just red in an article that with every washing the undergarments are loosing considerably in their insulating properties. Do you have observed that effect? How substantial is it? Are there any methods to mitigate it apart from using less detergent?

Thanks!

J.

Hi!

I just red in an article that with every washing the undergarments are loosing considerably in their insulating properties. Do you have observed that effect? How substantial is it? Are there any methods to mitigate it apart from using less detergent?

Thanks!

J.

For my fleece I use a tiny bit of powder, no conditioners/softners and wash them cold, gentle and do not dry them in a machine.

This applies primarily to thinsulate-based undergarments. And yes, I have observed this effect. It's a fact. You want to wash them as little as possible. When you do use very, very little detergent and wash in cold water. Rinse thoroughly and hang or lay out to dry. Do NOT dry them in the dryer.

I've gone to a washable undergarment that is not thinsulate-based. I wear a Weezle Extreme Plus, but there are others out there that don't use Thinsulate. Fourth Element makes some as well. I wash my Weezle as frequently as they require. As long as I use just a little bit of detergent in cool water, rinse thoroughly (twice), and hang to dry, I have not had a noticeable loss in insulation properties in 5 years.

there's a particular soap weezles recommends - charlie's, maybe?

just as a cheerful aside, i like the smell of other people's sweaty undies, just not mine, so maybe you aren't as offensive as you fear.

Fleece and polypropylene don't like warm water, tumble drying and especially NO softener. Gentle handwash is a MUST.

I can't say. I've had my Bare HiLoft for over four years now and only washed it once (when I had a P-valve malfunction). I just hang it out side for a day to air out after use whenever possible, I have had no odor complaints so far.

I don't use soap. I wear a base layer, and that gets washed with soap, but I only wash my thermal undergarments when they are significantly soiled with sea water or urine, and then I just run them through without soap, and dry them on the lowest setting (takes forever!). Thinsulate is the big problem, because of the way the fibers are made, but fleece will eventually stiffen and pill, especially if dried on high heat.

there's a particular soap weezles recommends - charlie's, maybe?

just as a cheerful aside, i like the smell of other people's sweaty undies, just not mine, so maybe you aren't as offensive as you fear.

You would have loved me last weekend. 90 minutes of deco in 85 degree water with my thick undies. I sweat so much it was like being in a wetsuit.

mmm...stinky drysuit undies...<homer simpson noises>

mmm...stinky drysuit undies...<homer simpson noises>

You have got yourself one odd fetish there:tmi2:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom