Dry Suit - Weight harness - Lower Backpain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you think about strapping weights to tanks ( the image is from XDeep's website, I am only using this as an example) ?

Somehow I don't consider this as a very "secure" method, I can understand a 1 kilo trim but not 6 kilos of essential.

1693832687312.png

Yes, that is a drawback. My D12 rig is very heavy to lug around. I often take the tanks off the backplate/wing for filling, schlepping and storage
Are you using standard wingnuts to attach your twins ? I am, but I need a pair of pliers or similar to get them off as I tend to want them to be on nice and tight ?

What do you think about strapping weights to tanks ( the image is from XDeep's website, I am only using this as an example) ? ...
Common (?) approach for double Luxfer Al 80's--to keep their butts down since they (the butts) get very floaty as the cylinders empty.

The Al 80 doubles I rented in 2000 in Grand Cayman for my first (and only) warm water tech dives, were configured this way. My first time seeing this. "Everyone" there at that time was doing this. (We didn't do this for our PST doubles when Great Lakes diving, though.)

ETA: If I recall, each cylinder wore only a single 3-lb weight strapped on this way.

rx7diver

What do you think about strapping weights to tanks ( the image is from XDeep's website, I am only using this as an example) ?
It would freak me out a bit having it that close to the bottom of the tanks, but I guess if they're tight enough they shouldn't slip. I would definitely prefer a tail weight or a v-weight and maybe a couple of smaller weights between the tank bands so they can't slip. Or just having those smaller weights on a conventional weight belt.

Are you using standard wingnuts to attach your twins ? I am, but I need a pair of pliers or similar to get them off as I tend to want them to be on nice and tight ?
Yup, standard wingnuts. Have no problem getting them on and off, but I do use a washer.

It would freak me out a bit having it that close to the bottom of the tanks.

I share that feeling.. If it's only a small percentage of the total weight I can understand doing it this way but I would be reticent of attaching the majority of the weight in this manner.

The belt looks like a pretty slick design to me, I can see why divers are attracted to it. But that really is a lot of weight resting on your lower back.

Yes, it is extremely handy as you only sling it on your back just before you are ready to slip into the BP/W and you can easily carry it separately from the BP/W . BUT, and this is a big "but", it is not being supported by the wing when diving, so it means it is being carried by you throughout the whole dive and this I believe results in the sore back at the end of the dive.

I am definitely going to look further into those P or V weights. It's surprising that no-one has came up with a quick release/easy to attach versions. Ok undoing 2 wing nuts is not the end of the world but we already have quick-release almost everything else.

OK - a different direction here, if you are willing to not dive a BP/W

By far the most comfortable system I've used is the Aqualung Dimension back inflate BCD. The shoulder straps and hip belt are constructed like a hiking backpack allowing you to distribute the weight transfer to your body between your shoulders and hips. This makes a huge difference on shore dives when you have a long walk from gearing up to the water.

Of course if you are mainly diving boats or shore dives where you can gear up close to the entry this won't be a s much benefit, but it is very comfy underwater too.

The big drawback of this BCD is the "Sure Lock" weight pouches. Double, triple and quadruple check they are secure before each dive so they don't turn into "Sure Loss".

The Dimension also has very good cargo pockets that are easy to access underwater and well thought out places to keep your Alternate and spg.

I use similiar to these (mine in metal though)

"Speednuts" wprls with Google

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom