Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*neoprene suit is naturally warm
*shell suit Requires undergarments for warmth
*thick undergarments will need more weight
*my neoprene seals have never leaked
*latex seals need to be replaced kinda often
*latex seals are easier to get into
*get a suit that FITS
*shoulder zipper will be cheaper to replace
*fins may not fit the dry suit boots
*attached boots never get forgot

mine last just about a year and a month or two

ymmv

Ah mine go longer in my experience but if you are really worried about them you can get zipseals and make them easy to replace.

MyDiveLog:
I have the Bare crushed neoprene suit, which has been very durable. My zipper location is a pain, however, because I can't zip it up by myself ... a bit of a challenge, since I do a fair bit of solo diving. I would DEFINATELY skip the Bare Rock boots -- unless you have a very small foot, you won't be able to use any of the split fins (they are so large). All the folks I know that have rock boots either struggle to get the fins off and on ... not great, when beach diving and a wave is headed your way ... or have to use "Turtles" or Jet fins (which aren't split fins).
I have the bare boots and it takes me a second or two for getting my fins on. Yes i use turtles with spring straps, i dont know why anyone would want splits for diving anyhow.

theskull:
3. Buy one! There are so many different opinions and ideas about what's best that an extensive search on ScubaBoard will just paralyze you with fear over the contradictory advice you will get. Buy an inexpensive used one first if you can so you can get some experience while you discover what you do and don't like about it.

theskull

Thats looking more and more like some really good advice.
Thanks for all the input, it will certainly give me lots to think about. One thing is for sure, I won't need it in Grand Cayman next month!!!:14: :D :14:

limeyx:
Do you really like the dump valve high on the shoulder? Seems that it would be hard to make that the highest point when dumping?

I prefer it outside of arm near the elbow, which works great for me.

I have a wrist dump and love it. I just raise my left hand if I need to dump air. It makes it easy to vent when surfacing because my left hand is already up to vent my BC.

Matt S.:
It was said earlier that you should try not to become paralyzed by information overload and all the choices. That's very good advice, IMHO. If I didn't make an effort to avoid it myself, I'd STILL be shopping instead of diving.

I would also advise you to look at used suits and closeouts. You can save a lot of money that way. Once you get SOME kind of suit and learn to use it, you can make a MUCH more informed decision about your next uber-custom purchase with all the goodies.

As to the seals, in my (limited) experience latex wrist seals are great. On the neck, I have neoprene and it's very comfortable, warm, and dry. My wife has a latex neck seal and it seems to be just as dry but less comfortable.

I got my O'Neil dry suit on eBay for an insane deal. It happens to fit great. It is compressed neoprene, has latex wrist cuffs and a neoprene neck cuff. It is 5 mm compressed and I can dive in 50 degree water without woolies. The only things that I do not like is that it is a back entry suit and I cannot zip it myself and it is a sock and boot suit, so my fin pockets have to be HUGE.

John4455:
I am entertaining the idea of maybe getting a dry suit. I have never dove one and my knowledge is limited. Any suggestions on what to look for? There seems to be alot of differences in the suits. Front zip, back zip, booties or socks, different materials, dump valve locations maybe.....:huh:
They aren't cheap and its not like the LDS has a huge inventory hanging on the racks.
Any info that anybody would like to share would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Johnny

Hi Johnny,

I'm glad Brent posted in your thread because I was going to suggest you contact him considering your location. My advice would be to try some suits out to see what you like. Or course, also depends on what kind of diving you're doing. Hopefully Brent will have something you can try out and see what you like. I have a DUI TLS and like it. Shoot him a PM if you haven't already and see what he can hook you up with.

Also, anytime you're looking for local dive buddies let us know. We have a fairly active group and some dive at Lake Norman Quarry if you're ever interested in joining us. Divers Supply out of Charlotte usually dives there one night a week as well.

Hope this helps,
Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom