Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John4455

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am entertaining the idea of maybe getting a dry suit. I have never dove one and my knowledge is limited. Any suggestions on what to look for? There seems to be alot of differences in the suits. Front zip, back zip, booties or socks, different materials, dump valve locations maybe.....:huh:
They aren't cheap and its not like the LDS has a huge inventory hanging on the racks.
Any info that anybody would like to share would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Johnny

hmmm... well....

i like front zippers so that i can do it and undo it myself (with no help).

booties or socks are really a personal preference. with socks, you have one extra step (putting on the rock boots), and some people find that is a pain, particularly in a crowded boat

a pee valve is very valuable, but costs more. definetly get two side pockets. very valuable. i would get two large ones. get bottle-neck seals. you can slip in and out of them very easily, and they work really well in keeping a seal

you want a dump valve as high as possible on the shoulder (or as close to the shoulder as possible) for ease of vent. i would avoid dump valves lower in the arm.

as for materials, i like the trilaminate suits. they are thin and easy to pack, dry quickly, and are not as bulky.

prepare to get a gizzillion takes on this subject!

1. Read up on the manufacturers' web sites: DUI, Whites, Diving Concepts, BARE, DiveRite, etc.
2. Find a suit or 2 you can rent/borrow/take a class in, or locate a DUI DOG Days event where you can make some dives in a couple different models.
3. Buy one! There are so many different opinions and ideas about what's best that an extensive search on ScubaBoard will just paralyze you with fear over the contradictory advice you will get. Buy an inexpensive used one first if you can so you can get some experience while you discover what you do and don't like about it.

theskull

There are so many brands and options that you just have to pay your money and take your chances.

For your consideration:
-Read all the dry suit posts on SB. There are a gazillion at least.
-Until I got my dry gloves my Dry Suit was actually a Drier Suit.
-Absolutely, without fail, mandatorily get a suit you can don and doff by yourself.
-Don't bother with a custom suit until you are well experienced in using the one you have. Many of the folks I know who went custom had to pass it back and forth to the manufacturer multiple times before getting it right. I suspect, but don't know, that some of that is due to their discovering the effects of certain changes.

theskull:
1. Read up on the manufacturers' web sites: DUI, Whites, Diving Concepts, BARE, DiveRite, etc.
2. Find a suit or 2 you can rent/borrow/take a class in, or locate a DUI DOG Days event where you can make some dives in a couple different models.
3. Buy one! There are so many different opinions and ideas about what's best that an extensive search on ScubaBoard will just paralyze you with fear over the contradictory advice you will get. Buy an inexpensive used one first if you can so you can get some experience while you discover what you do and don't like about it.

theskull

I just bought a USIA Techniflex and it's awesome front zippers with kevlar on the knees to much to write. I purchased it at Divers Supply do some research on it, it's clearly the best drysuit for the money.

I see you are in rock hill which isn't that far away from me. My shop is in Gastonia NC. I sell bare and diverite drysuits and I am thinking about bringing in DUI. I have a couple of suits here in the store to take a look at, and if they fit you we can loan them out for you to try. If I can help you with anything let me know. If I don't have what you are looking for I will try and get it in...I have been working on a large rental drysuit order but haven't made my mind up on which I want to order in.

As far as the advice I would probably suggest a trilaminate suit. You will be able to dive a wider range of water temperatures and get more use out of your suit. The posts above are pretty good advice. I like self donning suits myself, but the back zipper is usually less expensive. Diving dry really is worth it to most people once they experience it...I can't remember the last time I wore a wetsuit.

If I can help you let me know. I will give straight answers, even if it is on a brand I do or dont' carry.

Brent

I have the Bare crushed neoprene suit, which has been very durable. My zipper location is a pain, however, because I can't zip it up by myself ... a bit of a challenge, since I do a fair bit of solo diving. I would DEFINATELY skip the Bare Rock boots -- unless you have a very small foot, you won't be able to use any of the split fins (they are so large). All the folks I know that have rock boots either struggle to get the fins off and on ... not great, when beach diving and a wave is headed your way ... or have to use "Turtles" or Jet fins (which aren't split fins).

One of the key decisions you'll make is tri-lam versus neporene. I've never dove a tri-lam, but have heard that they can be a bit more stiff and a bit less rugged than the neoprene suits. Also, because I have small wrists, I have neoprene wrist and neck seals...which requires that I "fold over" each of the seals to use them. Next time I'll get the latex wrist seals and use them with the "ring/gasket" combination that lets me use latex dry gloves (and is also easier to put on!). I dove with a guy that did this in 43-degree water in BC. All of us that used the 3-fingered wet suit gloves all got cold hands after about 45 minutes into each dive, while this guy seemed to be a LOT warmer, wearing only thin gardening gloves underneath his latex gloves.

H2Andy:
hmmm... well....

i like front zippers so that i can do it and undo it myself (with no help).
you want a dump valve as high as possible on the shoulder (or as close to the shoulder as possible) for ease of vent. i would avoid dump valves lower in the arm.
prepare to get a gizzillion takes on this subject!

Do you really like the dump valve high on the shoulder? Seems that it would be hard to make that the highest point when dumping?

I prefer it outside of arm near the elbow, which works great for me.

hmm.. yeah... but it's not really on the shoulder, it's on the arm, as close to the shoulder as possible

all i have to do is raise my elbow to vent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom