Dry Tortugas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pre BC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I am thinking of doing the Ultimate Getaway trip to the Dry Tortugas. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has done the trip in the last couple of years...

In particular:

1) How do the dive sites compare to the rest of the Keys? I.e. "Is it worth the trip?"

2) Given the sleeping accomodations, is this a "buddies only" trip or suitable for couples as well?

3) Are there any times of year that the visibility, migrating sea life or other considerations make it a must do?

4) What is the environment on the boat like (i.e. is it 20 something party city or boomer heaven) and how are the crew/DMs?

Thank you in advance for the info!

P

I am thinking of doing the Ultimate Getaway trip to the Dry Tortugas. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has done the trip in the last couple of years...

In particular:

1) How do the dive sites compare to the rest of the Keys? I.e. "Is it worth the trip?"

2) Given the sleeping accomodations, is this a "buddies only" trip or suitable for couples as well?

3) Are there any times of year that the visibility, migrating sea life or other considerations make it a must do?

4) What is the environment on the boat like (i.e. is it 20 something party city or boomer heaven) and how are the crew/DMs?

P

1. Much better than the rest of the Keys... it's remote.

2. Cabins are not private. It's a reasonable liveaboard dive trip, not the Marriott.

3. Some prefer spiny lobster season, after Aug 6th & before Mar 31st. Otherwise it's all good.

4. Every trip can be different, unless you book the whole boat yourself and fill it with your private party. Crew and DMs change, Capt Rick is a no nonsense experienced diver and Captain. If you like Clint Eastwood you'll like Rick.

The run from Ft Myers is a treat compared to driving to Key West. The typical last day dives on the Baja California and DOD Tower are a nice change from the reefs.

Chad

In particular:

P

1.) the dive sites are great. The coral formations are great and much better than a lot of the keys...

2.) The boat is divided up into two different "bunk rooms". Basically a forward one and a mid-ships one. The forward one is two rooms that are open to each other. one room has 6 bunks in a "v" of the bow and the other room is just two bunks in the room/hallway behind it.

The "mid ships" bunk room has about 12 bunks in it. Two of the bunks they call doubles, but you better be ready for "spooning" if you want to sleep two people in those bunks.

all the bunks have curtains on them, but it wont' completely isolate you, but give you about 90% privacy and block light a little if someone is stupid enough to turn them on when others are sleeping.

As for "couples", trips I have been on have had couples in them. they typically get seperate bunks because thats the way the bunks are set up. as for having a little "late night quality time" with the spouse, I wouldn't suggest it as you're likely only 3 ft away from the person in the bunk next to you (or under/above you). In reality after doing 5 to 7 dives a day, you'll be to tired for that anyway.

as for your wife changing clothes and privacy, there is a bathroom in each bunk area and two on the main deck that can be used for that. (that's what most of the women did to change, etc).

take a flashlight to keep in your bunk and a set of ear plugs also because boats are noisey and people snore.

3.) during Lobster season it about the only issue with seasons. folks on the boat will want to lobster fish during lobster season. FYI.

4.) you will have all types on the boat but most of the boats are booked by dive shops or groups and not "open charters". so the people will be mostly folks from that group or charter. If you want to go on a certain date and your shop isn't booked, just call the other shop and book through them.

just note that if you're on a "spear fishing only" trip and you don't want to spearfish, then you'll be at the mercy of everyone else on the boat who might be there spearfishing. just mentioning this as some folks might not want that.

the crew is top notch. one of the better boat crews I've seen. I can't say anything bad about them. They pretty much let you dive your own profiles, including deco as long as you don't come up with a computer violation or drink and dive. (pretty much your first drink of the day marks your last dive of the day).

alcohol is BYOB, but cokes, tea, water, snacks are included. (you'll get a good snack served between each dive). if you want beer/booze, they'll point you to where to get it and there is a HUGE group cooler to put your beverages in. People don't get too wild on drinking as they are all worn out from diving all day and have to dive the next day.

The main deck of the boat has the kitchen forward, a large salon(dining/eathing area) mid ships and a large open dive deck on the back that is covered. at far aft of that deck is a large fish box for any freshly speared fish or lobsters.

other suggestions,
* pack all your stuff in soft side luggage. easier to store in the cabin.
take alligator clips to use to clip your towels out to dry in the railings. (clothes pins are too wimpy)
* take a bin (like dish pan) for storage under your seat. (milk crates work great also, but you can't put two under the seats easily if your neighbor has one).
* take earplugs.
* don't forget tip money (cash) for the crew
* you'll store your dive bag on the front deck. put anything in it that you don't want to get wet in ziplock bags, etc.
* remember you have to bring your own sheets/blanket or sleepingbag and pillow

got more questions, feel free to ask.

you'll have fun on the trip. just realize it's not the Love Boat or a luxury yatch and you'll be fine.

mike

Thank you for the very detailed responses (particularly Mike S -- you should write a dive travel column!). I am very grateful for all the time and energy that the best ScubaBoard forum participants put into being genuinely helpful. You guys (and gals) are a tremendous resource!!!

One last question, what times of year is the visibility the best? I am a photo nut and the vis can never be too good!

P

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom