Drying/storing drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gomi_otaku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just moved into a new house, and am setting up a dry area for hanging up my equipment.
Is there anything regarding heating systems that should be avoided? I'm not planning on having this stuff hanging in front of a hot air vent- but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything that would cause a problem. I have a natural gas hot air furnace, and there are vents into every room in the house, so every room is equally warm and dry. There is an air cleaner system in line with this, which makes an electric arcing every once in a while, so I assume it is ionizing the air or something. The exception to this is one small room that actually has the intake vent for the furnace, which is somewhat open to the other heated areas of the basement.
I don't have a drysuit yet but will be getting one shortly and don't want to have to move my storage area due to problems with ioized air or anything reacting with rubber or something else odd like that.
thanks,
gomi_

Hi There!

I have owned an USIA Tri Laminate Dry Suit for at least 7 years now. The best advice I can give is to make sure it is clean before you put it away, wax the zipper (leave it unzipped, but covered), roll it up carefully and put into a Dry Suit Bag. Keep the bag inside the house in a closet. The heaters for the house don't seem to do too much damage when they are stored in a cool dry place (closet). Powder the seals with PURE TALCUM POWDER (no fragrance or oils) every now and then, even when you are not using it.

I have seen many dry suits come in for new seals that were stored in the garage. The garage is way too warm and dry (at least it is here in Phoenix). The garage is also an open invitation to bugs and worse to nibble at the suit.

Check with your LDS or manufacturer when you purchase your dry suit as to what would be the best way to store your particular suit.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Tina
Scuba Sciences, Inc.

Scuba Sciences:
Hi There!

I have owned an USIA Tri Laminate Dry Suit for at least 7 years now. The best advice I can give is to make sure it is clean before you put it away, wax the zipper (leave it unzipped, but covered), roll it up carefully and put into a Dry Suit Bag. Keep the bag inside the house in a closet. The heaters for the house don't seem to do too much damage when they are stored in a cool dry place (closet). Powder the seals with PURE TALCUM POWDER (no fragrance or oils) every now and then, even when you are not using it.

I have seen many dry suits come in for new seals that were stored in the garage. The garage is way too warm and dry (at least it is here in Phoenix). The garage is also an open invitation to bugs and worse to nibble at the suit.

Check with your LDS or manufacturer when you purchase your dry suit as to what would be the best way to store your particular suit.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Tina
Scuba Sciences, Inc.

I couldnt agree more. Great advice all the way around.

Back
Top Bottom