drysuit for Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LisaP

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Catalina on January 15 & 16 and am wondering if I will be way too hot in my drysuit. I would appreciate advice on this subject from anyone who cares to offer it.

No - January is the perfect time of year for a drysuit here. Water temps probably in the mid-50's, so it's good drysuit weather. Depends on the weather how you'll be on the surface - it's been cold and rainy for the last 3 weeks, with more predicted through the next 2 weeks, but it can also be in the 70's and sunny/warm here, so it all depends. I'd suggest to come prepared for both - bring a nice warm jacket to keep the chill off if there's wind, or also something lighter if it's sunny, but definitely bring the drysuit!

Despite the title of my TV show and newspaper column, I dive wet year-round. But then many say I'm all wet all the time!

However, dry suits are quite appropriate this time of year for divers who actually possess a nervous system. Water temperatures have been warmer than "usual" this year. Did a deep dive (100+ ft) on the wreck of the Valiant yesterday and the lowest temp we reached was 59 F.

You will undoubtedly be more comfortable topside after diving a dry suit... assuming it doesn't leak like 3 out of 5 friends this past weekend!

Mo2vation and others (including myself) will be diving at the park that weekend. We plan on doing the Valiant again. Stop by and say hi.

Dr. Bill

I'm planning on diving the park on Saturday...in my drysuit. I don't think that it's overkill...are you coming from somewhere colder?

Yes, it was certainly a treat yesterday at the dive park. The sun was shining, water was clear and 59F! 3 wet dives in my 7mm and it was only chilly topside getting changed. And best of all, dive buddies Ken and Jaye to show me around. Dr.B, Karen (telling us of her upcoming antarctic trip... brrrr!) and Kevin were there getting wet too, as well as many others.

kelpmermaid:
I'm planning on diving the park on Saturday...in my drysuit. I don't think that it's overkill...are you coming from somewhere colder?
Yes, I am from Northern Ca so the water temperature is 48 to 52 degrees year round.

LisaP:
Yes, I am from Northern Ca so the water temperature is 48 to 52 degrees year round.

I dive drysuit year around and just adjust my undergarments to the water temp. When the water is warm in the summer I just wear shorts and a t-shirt under my suit.

Then it should be toasty for you here, LisaP! Must admit that I'm starting to feel the cool in my 7mm even with vest even though it is a few degrees warmer at depth than it was last year at this time.

Glad you enjoyed your dives, Warren. Sorry I didn't get a chance to dive with Ken, Jaye and you but I'd already committed to Kevin and Karen (a regular dive buddy until she met Kevin!).

Too wet to dive recently... due to rains. We need it and I'm glad that I'm getting plenty of time to edit "old" footage instead of trying to keep up with the new stuff.

Dr. Bill

You mean you dont wear the shorty with the patches year round Dr. Bill, I may be over that weekend probably the 14-15th depending on weather. It will be my 1st time diving in almost 4 months. I dive semi dry, people dive year round down here in drysuits so I doubt you will get uncomfortable in the winter cooler water.

LisaP:
I am planning a trip to Catalina on January 15 & 16 and am wondering if I will be way too hot in my drysuit. I would appreciate advice on this subject from anyone who cares to offer it.

My first thought is "wussie," but that is out of jealousy and obnoxiousness :lol2:
Most of my buddies dive dry, especially if doing multiple dives. Even if the water is warmer than your usual, being dry between dives will make your dives more enjoyable.

With so many over there that weekend, maybe I come to the park, too. Ken, you didn't tell me you dove the Valiant that Sunday :( I wanna go... sniffle, sniffle...

I'll bring my "big gun" tank with me!

L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom