Drysuit silicone wrist and neck seals - what lubricant to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have just bought a drysuit with silicone wrist and neck seals - what is the best lubricant to use with it that will not cause degradation or damage? Cheers - P

Talc powder. Some drysuit comes with a little pouch. You can check with your LDS or do q quick search on Google.

Talc is the standard. I use KY on my neck seal to avoid getting a neck rash.

What suit did you buy? I just bought the Waterproof D1 hybrid with the silicone seals and they told me there was NO maintenance on them and to treat them the same way I do my mask.

First apologies for posting in the wrong place - and thanks to mods for moving it.

Yes it is a D1 Hybrid Suit, and I was told it needed very little maintainance on the seals, but I am having a little difficulty getting the wrist seals off over my wrists after use and thought some lubrication might help. The neck seal is fine and really comfortable to wear and get on and off, but I am finding the wrists a b####r ! but only to get off. - Cheers P

Lots of people use talc to ease the donning process and to keep the seals from sticking to themselves during storage. If you do, get the unscented kind, the pretty smells come from stuff that seems to degrade most seal materials.

I prefer KY jelly - it's odorless, colorless and doesn't turn to mud when it gets wet. It's water soluble so it washes off easily and I've never had problem with seal material being degraded.

Silicone is more resistant to degradation than latex but nothing lasts forever. The more sun, heat, oil (including skin oils) and use it is exposed to the shorter it's life. Do what you can to mitigate the problem and then go diving.

I use Talc on my drusuit for doning the suit . If your problem stems from the exit from your suit I would suggest you get a small spray bittle (travel bottle, Wallmart sells them in the travel sample section)put about 2 teaspoons full of liquid dish soapand the rest tap water. spray some on yor wrists . that way the seals will slide rather than stick. and at the same time your washing the seals lol .You can carry that in your bag with no lost spase

I prefer KY jelly - it's odorless, colorless and doesn't turn to mud when it gets wet. It's water soluble so it washes off easily and I've never had problem with seal material being degraded.

KY works really well. Walmart has their generic version for less than $3/tube.

I don't actually use that much but bought 4 tubes last time just to watch the casher's face.

flots.

:blinking:, I think KY is probably the way to go, and smear a bit over my hand before remvoing the seal - thanks - P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom