Drysuit Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandmanbm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently bought a new drysuit at one of the 'fairs' the local dive shops put on.
Since I didn't buy it directly from the store, though I paid the store, they won't do a drysuit orientation/class for me :(

Anyone know where I can get an inexpensive class? I'm more interested in learning how to use the suit safely than spending 200 for a cert, though a cert wouldn't be bad :wink:

Hi Sandman,

In Seattle you have a hotbed of very skilled drysuit divers. Find one who is willing to make a couple dives with you to clue you in on the the half dozen tricks that make dry diving easier and to put you through your paces on the couple basic skills involved.

It really is not a very big deal, just a very large buoyancy control device. But your learning will be vastly accellerated by getting some hands-on help from an accomplished diver. If they have paid an agency for the right to sell you a C-card afterward, that's nice too, but hardly necessary.

theskull

Would be happy to do this for you myself if you lived in the Midwest! Have done so many times.

Seattle Scuba has a really good course, I'd give them a ring. I believe they have one upcoming in the next few weeks.

You might consider contacting either NWGratefulDiver or Hydrogirl. Both are Seattle instructors who would teach not only a drysuit class, but probably give you a number of extremely useful tips on general diving technique for our local water at the same time. Bob (NWGratefulDiver) is on vacation right now, but should be back in a week or two. Sandra (Hydrogirl) is around, though.

You might consider contacting either NWGratefulDiver or Hydrogirl. . . . .

See, they're crawling out of the woodwork to do your bidding. Just ask . . .

theskull

lol, Skull

thanks for the help everyone.

$200. for the drysuit course is not bad.Done properly it takes 6 hrs presentations and workshop on maintain/repair suit and pool time ..Then there are 2 ow dives with the instructor..How is that expensive ?
Looking at 14 hrs minimum of instructor time so thats a big $14.28 an hr for him ,if he gets paid that much and the dive shop does not take their cut or charge him for classroom /pool time..

It is getting into the start of Demo days so don't forget to consider that angle.

Dry suit manufactures will go to various dive spots and allow divers to try out different suits.

Check your suit manufacturer website to see if they have any events coming up.

You may not be able to test a suit without a certification but any questions you came up with after your purchase may have an answer waiting in the tent.

Depending on how your diving skills are, I would still recommend a dry suit course from a certified instructor. You should get a presentation, pool dives and open water dives- This will should you how to care/maintain the suit, what to do if you run into an issue.

You have now added another level of complexity to your gear- make sure you add things in stages- do not take to many new things on any given dive.

Good luck and enjoy diving dry.

Thanks for the good responses.

It can be hard to find board where the people are actually helpful rather than critical and condescending :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom