Drysuit vs Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan to pursue local diving and have the funds then go for the drysuit. I don't have much drysuit experience but the little I have made me want a tropical drysuit even for my warm water dives. Staying dry while diving is wonderful, especial for that SI. And I personally hate thick wersuits. I will dive a little cool just to stay out of a 5 ml never mind 7. But that's just me.

the comfort and safety advantages for you are going to be worth it
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Drysuit = instant redundant buoyancy.

I agree with tbone. If you have little to no cold tolerance you will be miserable in a wet suit in cold water no matter the thickness. Save your mondey and go straight for the custom fitted drysuit.

I second Marie13 -- Dive Right In Scuba are the drysuit experts. I use them even though I am in New York. If you are anywhere nearby, go visit. Their advice and prices are great.

My Plainfield dive shop is Dive Right in Scuba, so if you're looking at a drysuit, make a drive up on a Saturday and talk to Chris, the manager.
I second Marie13 -- Dive Right In Scuba are the drysuit experts. I use them even though I am in New York. If you are anywhere nearby, go visit. Their advice and prices are great.
They are 2 hrs, 7 minutes for me, so basically an afternoon trip.

Hmm...hmm...still would have to wait a bit and save up.

Note, for custom, it can take at least a month.

If you go up on a Saturday, call in advance to make sure Chris is working. Mike, the owner, is fab, too, but he's not in the shop on weekends.

I've never owned a drysuit. Wet vs. Dry depends on cold tolerance, where you plan to dive of course (for many people in the north going wet means not diving for a chunk of the year) and costs (I've heard a replacement drysuit zipper can cost like $300). You can put these in any order you like.

I've heard a replacement drysuit zipper can cost like $300
Sounds about right. OTOH, if you maintain your gear, a zipper can last at least one hundred, usually several hundred, dives.

Diving is so expensive that the cost of replacing a DS zipper once every ~300 dives doesn't cause even a blip on my budget. I spend a lot more on boat fees (for boat dives) and gasoline (for boat AND shore dives).

Last edited:
Keep your eyes peeled, I know of a L/XL Fusion Sport right now with 10 dives on it for sale for $400, stupid cheap.

I mentioned the fusion earlier due to it's wide size range, but then I pulled up the size chart. At 6'5" and 155lbs he would need a 4xl to suit his height, and the other dimensions on that suit would swallow him whole. A custom suit would probably be the only way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom