Drysuit vs Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coogeeman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
:11: I've been diving in a 5mm wetsuit for years and its never been an issue. But lately, in fact there have been a number of dives lately where I have frozen my *** off inbetween dives that has led me to think that a drysuit would be a better option.

Once I'm in the water I'm fine its the waiting inbetween dives thats just edging me towards something a little warmer. Whats the thought process out there? Am I a wooss (thats Australian for pathetic) or would a dry suit really work?

Thanks

Coogeeman

Coogeeman:
:11: I've been diving in a 5mm wetsuit for years and its never been an issue. But lately, in fact there have been a number of dives lately where I have frozen my *** off inbetween dives that has led me to think that a drysuit would be a better option.

Once I'm in the water I'm fine its the waiting inbetween dives thats just edging me towards something a little warmer. Whats the thought process out there? Am I a wooss (thats Australian for pathetic) or would a dry suit really work?

Thanks

Coogeeman
The only thing I regret about going dry is that I did not do it sooner.

Having said that, perhaps you just need to get out of the wetsuit and into dry clothes between dives. When you suit up for the next dive, dump some warm water in the suit with you.

Nothing sucks more than being cold. Water out your way ain't too warm. Go dry, you'll love it!

Oh and by the way...the CBH rocks! You are soooo lucky to live just a short jaunt from there.

I dive dry when in the Great Lakes or just local diving in Minnesota. The water temps are anywhere from 39F - 65F also so a drysuit is almost a necessity. I know I dive much more often since I dive dry and am not freezing all of the time and I absolutely love my drysuit! Try out a rental if you can and see if it helps. There is a chance that you may get too warm in the water also and not enjoy it - so wet would be the better way to go if that is the case. I know of people getting warm up here diving dry sometimes, although I can't say that ever happends to me but it does happen.

Don Burke:

This is VERY true.

And, while I agree with Don's interm advice to get warmed up between wet dives, look into a drysuit at your earliest opportunity. You won't regret it.:thumb:

Not only does diving dry make your dives more comfortable, but it will probably extend your dive season. I know it did for me.

Best Darth Vader voice: Coogieman... come to the dry side... :drejnd:

Thats it! I'm sold on the drysuit.

I have a feeling that I'll get through the summer in my 5mm but when winter hits its just too uncomfortable and thats not the way I want to continue forward.

Thanks for the input guys.

Coogeeman :dazzler1:

I don't even own a wetsuit for cold water, and my wife and I are going to get a lightweight "carib. style" drysuit for warm water. As it stands if I can't dive it in a 3mm then I'm in my drysuit. Two words to keep in mind while shopping for your drysuit "PEE valve" good luck-M

Michael Schlink:
I don't even own a wetsuit for cold water, and my wife and I are going to get a lightweight "carib. style" drysuit for warm water. As it stands if I can't dive it in a 3mm then I'm in my drysuit. Two words to keep in mind while shopping for your drysuit "PEE valve" good luck-M

Thats funny! I didn't even think of that but now that you mention it, it becomes an issue. mmm...ok thanks. So now I have to look for something with a zip.

Coogeeman

Don Burke:

At least thats one thing i cant regret - my very first dive was in a drysuit and havent looked back:)

If you have the money, go dry, you won't regret it. I dove only a few dives wet before I tried a dry suit, never was an option to go back to wet after that.

Back
Top Bottom