DSMB importance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im gonna get a red one AND a yellow i think, that seems like a good idea cause yellow usually means emergency i think

One dsmb is something you'll need on an international dive trip to locations such as Cozumel.

In FL, they do not meet the requirements of the diver's down flag law.

You should look up NC law, if you're going to be diving locally.

Edit: I looked it up. NC Also requires a standard dive flag on a float

That said, I still carry my dsmb in my "emergency" pocket along with an emergency radio, and a few other goodies (whistle, mirror, dye, ham sandwich)... just in case.

yeah someone please help! just dont want to accidently use an incorrect one. @tbone1004 might know!

There are regional differences but no real universal standard in the US. What is most important is that charter captain and crew are informed what you plan to do as part of your dive plan.

In New England waters (to me) and the boats I've captained and crewed on..
Orange = I'm ok / drifting deco / or I ****** up and lost mooring but am otherwise ok
Yellow = emergency/problem. Somebody is getting back in water if possible. If somebody had time I'd look for slate or attached wetnotes to explain issue.

I've also seen two DSMBs on same line in Pompano Beach / Keys to also mean problem / emergency but that's not universal either.

I've also seen two DSMBs on same line in Pompano Beach / Keys to also mean problem / emergency but that's not universal either.
In the Key's a PINK smb means please send down my makeup pouch, I think i smudged my water proof mascara!! :cheer:

All signals really need to pre-agreed. But the standard simple signals are

Orange/Red DSMB = All Good
Yellow = Problem (needs investigation) {1}
Red + Yellow (2 SMB's) = Out of gas issue - Deploy drop cylinder/safety divers. {2}

{1} My yellow DSMB has laminated standard messages that can be torn off leaving the most appropriate.
{2} if you are using drop cylinders they need to be pre-rigged, and the boat needs to aware of the action to take. This is all part of the initial dive planning and briefing.

If we see a Yellow + Red we would put divers back in to determine the issue and offer support/gas.
Colors are typically regional.

None of those have any special meanings in my location.

Mine is red on one side and yellow on the other, so depending on what I'm needing, I just orient the DSMB the way it needs to be. But seriously, I just looked at DAN's website and they only sell 1 color; red. That being said, I do recall my instructor telling me to check with the country that I am diving in to see what color to use.

how important is it to have a DSMB, and should i get one? what do i need to look out for when getting a DSMB and reel?
DSMB are covered in your OW class and is a requirement just like a snorkel. It's part of your safety gear and unless you're diving in the pool you should always carry one.

It can have many uses besides just letting the boats know where you are. In case of wing failure you can put it between your legs and it can help you get back to the surface. You can use it as a lift bag to send something up. But also... it helps to not get hit by a boat.

SMB is part of OW. The d part is optional.

SMB is part of OW. The d part is optional.
Isn't it the other way around?

SMB is a surface marker buoy. It's floating at the surface attached to a reel to let the boat crew know where all the divers are. If show diving it tells boats to stay away, etc.

DSMB is a delayed surface marker buoy. Meaning it's not always floating at the surface, it's deployed from depth.

Isn't it the other way around?

SMB is a surface marker buoy. It's floating at the surface attached to a reel to let the boat crew know where all the divers are. If show diving it tells boats to stay away, etc.

DSMB is a delayed surface marker buoy. Meaning it's not always floating at the surface, it's deployed from depth.
Dive flexible skill for open water dives 1-4.
Inflatable Signal Tube Use — Deploy an inflatable signal tube at the surface, or deploy a delayed surface marker buoy (DSMB) from underwater.
There are enough instructors choosing surface deployment that there is a PADI specialty specifically for dSMB deployment. I like to practice it if I’m not ascending up a mooring line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom