DSMB norms in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a valve on mine, but I still worried about exploding it. I ended up with a limp wienie the first couple times. No matter how much I jerked on it, it just laid on the surface.....

You should have asked a woman for help!; many of them have a experience operating inadequate or defect equipment satisfactorily!

I'm having a vision of two cattle boat loads of 30 newbie divers all deploying their rental DSMBs on Bricks, hope someone brought the shears!

I read on the forums that PADI has added deploying an SMB to their OW standards. I think that is a smart thing.
Whistle also didn't come up in our OW class, but I pretty much bring a whistle with me on any activity outdoors, so I bring it diving too.

Yes, PADI had added this to the OW Course curriculum - imagine that - even PADI agrees that every diver should have their own and know how to use one vs. depending on others to deploy one for them. Guess I wasn't so far out in left field after all. I'm relieved to know that I was not giving bad advice.

Going"cowboy"? That is what you call being aware, prudent and proactive with regards to your own safety?? WOW! If I was ever on a boat anywhere and they implied that I could not or actually told me "don't deploy or use your own surface marker because the captain won't be watching for it" I would run not walk away from that boat!

Having your own safety equipment and knowing how to use it if needed has NOTHING AT ALL to do with "not following the plan." :shakehead:

Yes, PADI had added this to the OW Course curriculum - imagine that - even PADI agrees that every diver should have their own and know how to use one vs. depending on others to deploy one for them. Guess I wasn't so far out in left field after all. I'm relieved to know that I was not giving bad advice.

I don't believe anyone said it wasnt a good idea to know and be equipped. I certainly didn't. I believe what I said there is nothing wrong with a DM requesting you stick with their program and use the DM's provided SMB, unless you have made other arrangements or another valid reason exists.

You said it was an unsafe boat you would run from if they suggested you surface under the DM SMB. :)

I have a valve on mine, but I still worried about exploding it. I ended up with a limp wienie the first couple times. No matter how much I jerked on it, it just laid on the surface.....

So you're the one Carlos always jokes about!!??!!

I responded to the question asked "Just curious -- do many Cozumel divers carry their own deployable surface markers? Deploy them on many/most dives for the safety stop?" In my experience, (and seeing divers with many ops) many Cozumel divers do not have a deployable SMB- many divers don't carry a line with them. Heck, some divers don't even have a SMB at all, though I disagree with that; but that wasn't what was asked. For the second question, -the norm- (as asked for in the subject "norms in Cozumel" not extreme situations) with the op I dove with was that divers did not deploy their own.

Your post said that your DM's deploy the SMB as standard procedure? Why are your divers relying on someone else then? Is it because it is the norm in Cozumel that DMs deploy the SMBs, and not individual divers?

The norm for a situation is not the same thing as what someone should do in a non-typical situation.

Last edited:
This is why I hate this forum and rarely read any of the threads but I do come on and indulge myself on occasion. The problem here is you have way to many people who either have only dove with one dive op or DM or worse yet someone who has limited dive experience and one dive trip commenting on things they know nothing about because they just don't have the experience or knowledge. How would someone with one trip know what the norm is? Beats me. I most certainly did not so I didn't comment on things I wasn't qualified to answer. Just my opinion and my opinion only.

Is there anyone in this thread who wants to deploy a SMB towards the ends of a dive? If so, have you asked your dive op if there is a problem or if they may restrict it to a certain time (eg, approaching the safety stop).

I know that I have on a few dives years ago but it was approaching the safety stop. I only did it for practice. My opinion is that if you have one that can be deployed while underwater, and you consider that something that you may want to do for whatever reason, that you should practice it enough to be reasonably proficient at it.

I do not expect to need to deploy one from 100 feet because I get a leg caught in a coral reef landslide and barracuda are circling me like buzzards. 15-30 feet down is good enough for me. If the surface is calm, I could wait until I surface.

So you're the one Carlos always jokes about!!??!!

Him and everyone else.....

:sadangel:

---------- Post added February 19th, 2014 at 05:20 PM ----------

This is why I hate this forum and rarely read any of the threads but I do come on and indulge myself on occasion. The problem here is you have way to many people who either have only dove with one dive op or DM or worse yet someone who has limited dive experience and one dive trip commenting on things they know nothing about because they just don't have the experience or knowledge. How would someone with one trip know what the norm is? Beats me. I most certainly did not so I didn't comment on things I wasn't qualified to answer. Just my opinion and my opinion only.

Snow getting to you too? :)

Is there anyone in this thread who wants to deploy a SMB towards the ends of a dive?

Sure! And we do, sometimes.

If so, have you asked your dive op if there is a problem or if they may restrict it to a certain time (eg, approaching the safety stop?

No, I actually haven't ever asked. Our DM has made it abundantly clear that he thinks this is a useful skill and has on numerous dives indicated that we should deploy, so I've never thought it necessary to ask. I'll be happy to ask when I next see him in a few weeks. Although most of our Cozumel dives are with Sandro Huerta, we've dived with dozens of DM's altogether, none of whom has voiced any concerns. I know we've deployed when diving with Gabriel Santana and with "Pumbaa".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom