DSMBs....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all-

I need to add a DSMB to the kit. Primary use will be for emergencies, but I'm sure other uses will arise.

I've read such good things about Carter, that I think I'll go with them. Choices now are 35# or 50#, and whether to get the standard yellow or custom-order a red.

I dive a BP/W, and will bungee it at the base of the plate. It seems that most don't have a problem with either the 35 or 50# size in this location, am I correct?

Color advice? Most diving I do is Florida & Caribbean boat/shore.

Thanks,
Jim

Look at the OMS 9'7" telephone pole DSMB. LeisurePro has it. Carters are good, but that OMS sausage REALLY shows up. It'll stows ok too.

The great thing about Carter is that you can customize how ever you like. Most of the captains here prefer red or orange as they are a little more visible in all conditions. I have a friend who had Carter make him one that was red on one side and orange on the other. You can also have them put the dump and oral valves were ever you like (top or bottom). Also, the Carter bags have a little more girth which is easier to get your reg into and they tend to stand up staighter on the surface. The real long and thin bags tend to flop over.

My Carter bag is 5' x 11" (deflated and flat), red w/ a white dive stripe at the top, one way, dump and oral valves all at the bottom. This works best for me and the conditions that I usually dive in SF.

I don't know what your experience is but, you should get some instruction if you plan to deploy your bag from depth. An entanglement can drag you to the surface in hurry .

I got the Oceanic 6' yellow one side and orange the other, it's very small to pack and can be used as a floating collar for an injured diver.
The only drw back is that can't be deployed at depth since it doesn't have a dump valve, it's intended to be deployed when at the surface only.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_safety.html

Back
Top Bottom