DSS BP/W recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several cold water dives later, I'm still loving the new rig.

I've been thinking about what I'm going to do on tropical dive trips. I prefer to bring most of my own gear.

What I'm thinking is that since most rental tanks are going to be AL-80's, that I can remove the extra weight plates and use the steel backplate as-is. The LCD-40 wing is probably overkill, but I used to dive a BCD with a greater lift, so I can deal with that.

What do you think about that? Large SS BP with no extra weight, LCD-40 wing, and a 3mm wetsuit, probably with a few pounds of extra ballast on the belt. Sound reasonable?

Many of our customers find that a SS plate, harness and reg is all the ballast they need when using a3mm suit & al 80.

The LCD 40 will be far larger than required for warm water, that's why we offer 17 lbs wings.

Tobin

Tobin - after several more dives, I do have one issue with the rig that I haven't been able to adequately work around.

The inflator hose is too short for me! I'm a very broad-shouldered guy and the positioning of the 12" hose results in the inflator sitting inconveniently over my left shoulder in such a way that it's easy to find and out of the way, but very awkward to operate.

So far, that's my only major issue.

Would it be possible to purchase a 16" corrugated hose so I can get the inflator into a position that works better for me?

Tobin - after several more dives, I do have one issue with the rig that I haven't been able to adequately work around.

The inflator hose is too short for me! I'm a very broad-shouldered guy and the positioning of the 12" hose results in the inflator sitting inconveniently over my left shoulder in such a way that it's easy to find and out of the way, but very awkward to operate.

So far, that's my only major issue.

Would it be possible to purchase a 16" corrugated hose so I can get the inflator into a position that works better for me?

We have 16" hoses, but I'd suggest that you may have your plate and or wing too low on your back.

If you can turn your head and orally inflate then your hose is probably long enough.

It can require a bit of getting used to. A few folks need longer hoses, but most eventually find the 13" hose about right.

Tobin

We have 16" hoses, but I'd suggest that you may have your plate and or wing too low on your back.

If you can turn your head and orally inflate then your hose is probably long enough.

It can require a bit of getting used to. A few folks need longer hoses, but most eventually find the 13" hose about right.

Tobin

Tobin - it's quite possible that my BP/W is too low on my back. I've been working on the adjustments and am at the point where in order to move it up on my back, I'd need to tighten the shoulder straps to the point where getting into and out of the rig is going to be very problematic. That is, unless I'm missing something in terms of how to adjust the rig. Over the weekend, one of my instructors commented that the hose was too short for me. I'm going to continue to fine-tune the adjustment, but in the meantime I think putting on a longer hose is going to relieve a lot of anxiety on my part.

Hi, i am in similar situation.
6'.1"
180lb and use rental tanks
aqualung titan sup regs
w/ 2piece 7mm farmer john. boots, gloves, hood.
considering a dry suit, but thats a later purchase :)
would you recommend the 30 or 40 wing?

I like the idea of a zipper less 35 torus, but i am hesitant about it and feel the lcd 30/40 may be better for "just in case".
thanks
D

Hi, i am in similar situation.
6'.1"
180lb and use rental tanks
aqualung titan sup regs
w/ 2piece 7mm farmer john. boots, gloves, hood.
considering a dry suit, but thats a later purchase :)
would you recommend the 30 or 40 wing?

I like the idea of a zipper less 35 torus, but i am hesitant about it and feel the lcd 30/40 may be better for "just in case".
thanks
D

Wing lift is most a function of the buoyancy of your exposure suit. It's hard to imagine that even a dry suit on a diver your size with undergarments appropriate for the water temps in the PI that would be more than 30 lbs positive.

We sell 40 lbs wings primarily to divers in cold water , PNW or Northeastern US, or to Public Safety Divers who are intentionally over weighted.

At 6'1" I recommend the following:

Large SS back Plate
LCD 30 Wing
Hogarthian Harness
(cambands and wedge blocks are included)

Tobin

Tobin - it's quite possible that my BP/W is too low on my back. I've been working on the adjustments and am at the point where in order to move it up on my back, I'd need to tighten the shoulder straps to the point where getting into and out of the rig is going to be very problematic. That is, unless I'm missing something in terms of how to adjust the rig. Over the weekend, one of my instructors commented that the hose was too short for me. I'm going to continue to fine-tune the adjustment, but in the meantime I think putting on a longer hose is going to relieve a lot of anxiety on my part.

PNW,

We have hoses, but I'd still recommend a couple more dives and harness tweeks before you spend the $$

Tobin

PNW
I'm 6'3" and dive the long plate. I've never had trouble with the hose length. I suspect your plate is too low on your back. As far as tropical diving, I use my ss plate with my 17 torus in Cozumel with shorts and a skin and no extra weight. It's as close to naked diving as you can get!

Enjoy....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom