DSS Small Size plate or similar (for kid)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd look at an OxyCheq "ULTP" or a OxyCheq "Dog Bone" plate, and a perhaps something like a 23# HOG wing (the dog bone and HOG 23# was my travel rig when I was travel diving single hose regulators).

For a single-tank dogbone, I'd be tempted to do the Golem Gear reverse-profile stream for $120 https://www.golemgear.com/p-243-golem-stream-backplate.aspx Lower-profile and better stability ...

That was on my order list until I stumbled into one of Eric's LW Freedom Plates.

DSS had other dealers Dealers & Diving Links I have no idea if this page is up to date or if anyone has stock.

Northeast Scuba is a good resource but he tends to keep his website up to date, so if he doesn't have one listed on his site he probably doesn't have one.

Hey thanks for all the replies. I spoke to John at NESS earlier today, and he doesn't have any of the small size (or even medium size) DSS plates.

The Halcyon plate is great I'm sure, but it is a bit expensive. Could I put a VDH wing on it?

I was looking at the Oxycheq travel plates. I can't find the dimensions anywhere. Are they shorter/narrower than a "standard" size backplate? Also, does anyone know if the VDH 18# wing will work on the ULTP?

I'm thinking about looking at a regular kid jacket BCD. The BP/W path is proving difficult - I assumed more brands would have smaller sizes (well, I assumed DSS would be in business). Thanks again for the input! Best news is how excited the kid is to go diving! :)

I put both of mine in the small freedom plate at that age and it could not have been a better fit. I know there’s somewhat of a waiting list but they are worth it.

The oxycheq wings are nice but I found them to be too long for a child especially with a shorter tank. The VDH wing has been perfect and should be in stock soon. Last I looked Bryan did have the 23lb which is only very slightly larger and still an excellent choice. The extra couple pounds may even make them more comfortable on the surface with a steel plate. Don’t know your child’s build but my boys seem to be naturally negative

I'd love a Freedom Plate, but I'm not clear on the wait to get one - seems substantial.

Thanks for the tip on the Oxy wing length. Going to try to grab VDH wing.

And for anyone else on a similar hunt, I did not realize, but Oxycheq makes a small size plate too, and it's $100+ cheaper than Halcyon. I'm going to try that and the Oxycheq ULTP to see which seems to work best for the little dude. Thanks again for all the help!

Scratch that - the Oxycheq plate seems to be very difficult to find now - according to John at NESS they don't know when they'll be sending more. AFAIK Halcyon is the only game in town making a small size plate that you can get with any reasonable ease. Please post if you know of any others.

Scratch that - the Oxycheq plate seems to be very difficult to find now - according to John at NESS they don't know when they'll be sending more. AFAIK Halcyon is the only game in town making a small size plate that you can get with any reasonable ease. Please post if you know of any others.

This shows the difference between the Halcyon small and standard plates.
fullsizeoutput_802.jpeg

I'd love a Freedom Plate, but I'm not clear on the wait to get one - seems substantial.
Thanks for the tip on the Oxy wing length. Going to try to grab VDH wing.

And for anyone else on a similar hunt, I did not realize, but Oxycheq makes a small size plate too, and it's $100+ cheaper than Halcyon. I'm going to try that and the Oxycheq ULTP to see which seems to work best for the little dude. Thanks again for all the help!
It is funny, both the Small and Medium OxyCheq hard plates are listed as 15" long. Seems surprising - i wonder what is different

From what I heard, OxyCheq got clobbered by the hurricane in the fall and they are doing their best to get back to full operation.

Hmmmm. I thought that John did have the OxyCheq ULTPs last time I was in. I'm hoping to go up there to talk to my instructor tomorrow evening, he uses OxyCheq ULTPs with their harnesses for rentals. If I do make it there, I'll ask him how small he thinks they would work and I'll see if there are some still kicking around at NESS.

Back
Top Bottom