Dumb question, please bear w/my newbiedom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniellef

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. I am going to be doing my referral dives for the OW certification in a month or so. Some one gave me a very nice 1st stage w/a good Oceanic 2nd stage, an Oceanic Datamax pro computer and an inflator hose attached (I have had them all serviced). The only thing it doesn't have is the Octopus. My question is, can I rent just an Octopus at the dive shop and have them attach it there or is attaching something like that complicated and something I have to have done before I get there?

Thanks for helping a clueless novice.
Danielle

Thanks Lemonade. I kind of thought that might be the case. Hey, I live in DC (Chevy Chase) where do you go to get SCUBA stuff? That place on Wisconsin Ave.? I haven't been in there. I hate to go buy a new octopus since I am such a beginner but maybe that is the only way to go.

Thanks again --danielle

I know there is a shop on Wisconsin, but I've never been there. National Dive Center it's called, I think.

Atlantic Edge in Gaithersburg (I-270 exit 9) is where I go.

It sounds like you might have to buy the octo, unless you opt to do your check out dives with a rental regulator set.

don't you know anyone else with a reg? all you need to do is unscrew the hose with the second stage and screw it into a low pressure port on your first stage. any second stage will work. it does not have to be a special octopus. attach it to your first stage finger tight and then screw it in just a little bit more.

an octopus, I'd just switch one from a rental set, no charge.....especially for someone named "Danielle" :D (I just like that name...had a crush on a girl by that name a decade or so back, ha ha) As Docmartin said, it's real easy to put on an octopus, they're pretty much "one size fits all" and as long as you don't overtighten it, and check it first (breathe from it) it should be no problem. I'm sure a lot of shops would "encourage" you (that's a polite word for it!) to buy one....and, if you expect to be diving in the future, it IS really a necessity, so you should buy one someday. There are different opinions on this, but I don't think there's any need to spend a lot of money on an octopus for typical recreational diving. Anyhow, enjoy your dive!

Well, if I'm ever in Guam I'll have to come diving w/you. That's a good idea though, I can email the dive operator I'll be working with and ask if she can just loan me an octopus for the dives. Since I'm so new to this I don't have any dive buddies w/their own equipment yet. I got the equipment I did from a woman next door who gave up diving a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom