Dumb question time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soccerguy83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok been through two OW classes and this wasn't discussed in either. Not sure if it's not part of the PADI curriculum or if I just missed it twice haha. LP inflator hose how do you disconnect it at depth. Same as on the surface I would assume? Once disconnected can it be reconnected underwater? I'm diving a back up air inflator combo. Flame on!

No stupid questions here and no flames :D- you attach & detach it just like on the surface, except it will be under pressure and you may have to use some force to get the hose to reattach. Most people have trouble because they do not pull up on the locking collar far enough.

Absolutely no problem to disconnect and reconnect underwater, in fact you should be able to do this in case of a stuck inflator. Keep in mind that if you disconnect though, you also lose your backup reg (because of your air2), which is part of the reason I prefer a "normal" second regulator as a backup.

Ok been through two OW classes and this wasn't discussed in either. Not sure if it's not part of the PADI curriculum or if I just missed it twice haha. LP inflator hose how do you disconnect it at depth. Same as on the surface I would assume? Once disconnected can it be reconnected underwater? I'm diving a back up air inflator combo. Flame on!
You should be able to disconnect and reconnect the LP inflater hose underwater in exactly the same way you do so above water. Disconnecting the inflater hose is an important thing to do if you have a power inflater that is stuck "on."

There are plastic hose hats that can be installed on the end of standard LP inflater hoses which make them easier to disconnect underwater. Alternatively, you can install an inflater hose that has a built-in metal collar that makes it a cinch to disconnect even with thick wetsuit/drysuit gloves.

If you ever have to disconnect and then reconnect inflater hoses in salt water, please remember to flush out the valve with copious amounts of fresh water during post-dive rinsing. Bear in mind that the act of reconnecting the hose underwater and then operating the inflater will shoot some water into the valve. If you forget to rinse the inflater thoroughly after the dive, you will eventually have issues with corrosion inside the power inflater/alternative air source.

like merxlin said----also, the next time you're in the water, you need to try it(just consider it CE as you were not taught in either OW class).....

Last edited:
Disconnect the same way. Assuming you were doing this because of a stuck inflator you would want to hold inflator over your head with your left hand while depressing the vent button, and simultaneously disconnect with the right hand. There will be a little popping sound. Reconnecting is a bit more difficult because you will be pressing against the air outflow.

And be sure to try and get used to doing it with GLOVES on if you will ever actually be diving while wearing gloves. Even thin tropical gloves can make simple tasks more difficult at depth - especially if you are more than a bit flustered by something like a run-away inflator!

Ray

... and after you've reconnected the LP hose, take a couple breaths off that backup regulator to make sure it's working in case you need to use it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow only a bit over an hour and already all these great responses. Thanks to everyone! Yes what got me thinking was if I had a stuck inflator. Glad to see I was thinking down the right road. I appreciate the responses!

The skill you are referring to should be taught in confined session two. As it is in the section headed "underwater", I believe the intent is to teach you how to do it in case of a stuck inflator (or alike). Therefore, I believe you must be able to do it while the hose is under pressure in order to meet the training standard. It does say it can be performed at the surface, but again I think the hose would need to be pressurized either way. If you have completed confined session two, and have not been taught this, I would ask your instructor to please go through it. Then I might ask him/her what else has been missed, but that's just me.

Here is what is written in PADI's "guide to teaching" (page 16 - teaching techniques), which is the portion of the instructor manual that advises us on how to teach the skills.

"Have student divers respond to a stuck inflator by disconnecting the low pressure inflator hose from the BCD. To simulate the stuck inflator, have divers hold the inflator button down with one hand while disconnecting the hose with the other. Conduct this skill in shallow water either at the surface or underwater. Ask divers to reconnect the hose after the exercise."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom