durable balanced second stage and not expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gehadoski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I have scuba pro non balanced second stage. Looking forward to replace it with balanced second stage. I am looking fir something that is durable not expensive like Posieden for example. Any ideas

Hate to be the one that says it first but...HOG. At around $100 hard to beat. They breathe nice, speaking from experience, albeit limited.

Apeks ATX50
SP R195, S360

If you want durable, then find an old ScubaPro 109/156. The guts (lever/poppet/spring) are the same as the G250V and its predecessors, so parts will be around for another couple decades. Additionally, soft parts are now seeming to be more available too, allowing you to bring back ones thought to be "dead" (diaphragm covers & exhaust tees). That all brass reg is about as robust as it gets. They aren't hard to maintain or tune, and are sweet breathers. The all brass also makes them fight off dry mouth a little better.

edit:

The 109 is not a balanced second, but with parts, it becomes a 156 Balanced Adjustable. Around here, you can find them in the $25-$50 range. Not a lot of $$ for a tremendous regulator.

Last edited:
I'd put a ScubaPro 2nd on a ScubaPro 1st myself personally. SCUBAPRO S360 Regulator, Second Stage Only at LeisurePro $214 and they ship international.

They're now an authorized dealer so your SP warranty applies also most likely - not sure about internationally though.

That's SP list price thru their dealers so maybe someone in Egypt can match it.

You can not put inexpensive and Poseidon in the same sentence. Adjustable balanced or just balanced.

Hi all,

I have scuba pro non balanced second stage. Looking forward to replace it with balanced second stage. I am looking fir something that is durable not expensive like Posieden for example. Any ideas

What do you have and what is it that you don't like?

For a combination of durability, price, and performance, it is basically impossible to beat one of the old metal SP balanced/adjustable 2nd stages. As rhwestfall pointed out, the unbalanced version of the same regulator (109) is easily converted to balanced/adjustable status with current SP parts.

What do you have

I have Scubapro MK2

what is it that you don't like? For a combination of durability, price, and performance

What I don't like about unbalanced that It gets heavier in breathing when the tank is less in bars, also in deep dives.

AFAIK the heavier breathing at lower tank pressure is not influenced by a un/balanced second stage, it is a function of the first stage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom