Dying DEMA???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajaxord

Registered
Reaction score
Word on the street is this show/expo. is losing its legs. What do all you pros. out there have to say? True/Untrue? If so, why?

ajaxord,

I have attended DEMA for the last 15 years. I have always found the show to be excellent and have an amazing amount of information for the dive professional.

I 've also witnessed the show change from a "manufacturer's" show to a "member's" show. The changes, like any changes, did not take place without a few groans from the audience. Like most things, some folks welcomed the change while other's did not.

This years show in Houston, in my opinion, was not as well attended as the previous years, but I found it to be loaded with information about gear, training and travel.

The only unfortunate aspect to the Houston show was that a couple of vendors chose not to attend. It is my opinion that this was somewhat insulting to the retailers who sell their equipment.

DEAM is a wonderful organization made up of volunteers who are apart of the dive industry as retailers, vendors, resorts and training organizations. Their only reason to be there is to promote our industry.

I believe you will see the show and organization continue to grow.

I think many dive shop owners liked the spring format better as it created the expectation for manufacturers to get catalogs and items ready to ship prior to the main dive season and fit well with dealers needing to finalize decisions on what to stock for the season. It was also a realistic arrangement for maufacturers who were able to get things ready to go by spring. In contrast with an October show, there is a lot that is not yet finalized, catalogs are often not ready and items in development are still extremely tentative. And the transition between the spring and fall formats resulted in a lot of lost momentum I think. I can understand why some vendors now skip the show.

The idea of a main DEMA show is not going to die, but I see demand growing for smaller and more cost effective regional trade shows.

I wonder if the high attendance at the 2002 had more to do with the venue (Vegas) than the time of year. For this part of the world oct is slow season but others may see it different

If it were up to me, DEMA would never leave Vegas.

It is easy to get to, flights are inexpensive, and hotels are reasonable if you shop around. As a bonus, there is plenty to do after the show as far as entertainment.

I think DEMA was better when it was in January, as opposed to the fall, but we play the hand we are dealt.

Just my 2 cents...

Scott

New Orleans in January 2001 wasn't bad. Think Burbon Street.

ScottZeagle:
If it were up to me, DEMA would never leave Vegas.

It is easy to get to, flights are inexpensive, and hotels are reasonable if you shop around. As a bonus, there is plenty to do after the show as far as entertainment.

I think DEMA was better when it was in January, as opposed to the fall, but we play the hand we are dealt.

Just my 2 cents...

Scott

New Orleans was fun but again, it was expensive. I prefer Vegas.

DEMA 2002 was big becasue we had gone almost 2 years without a show. 1/2001 to 10/2002.

Not to offend the Houstonians but when they announced Houston as the 2003 location we knew we weren't going. I lived there for 6 mo's and don't really care to ever go back.

Dave

Anaheim wasn't a bad location either, (have a buddy living close by) Neither was New Orleans (same thing with the buddy). Now all I need to do is have a buddy move to Las Vegas & I'll be all set. :D
One of the main reasons the January venue was bumped was because of the abundance of scheduled vacations/trips during that time frame, or so I was told.
I sure hope the LAS monorail is still running, that would ease in town travel considerably, seeing as how my 2 favored hotels are the Sahara & Stratosphere.

Miami was great too. I spent 20 minutes at the show, and was diving for the rest of the trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom