Dying DEMA???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, you could have it at a "water destination" but would they have a big enough conference hall ( 15,000 plus) plenty of hotel rooms within a $100 a night price range, ample airline accessibility for those 15,000 people to fly in and out of within a couple days of the show beginning and ending. What water destination do you think could hold that conference and still make it attractively priced, easy to get to, and good weather possibilities in October?

If they wanted to make it a "come and dive" show, then water is definitely a plus, but manufacturers are not going to pay thousands of dollars to ship, set up, and man booths at a "come and dive" show.
It is a convention - not a dive trip - and as far as conventions go, no place is better than Vegas.

Just 2 more of my cents...

Scott

DA Aquamaster:
Having a Dive industry show in Las Vegas is like having a Ski industry show in Yuma Arizona. There ain't no water there - it's in the middle of the desert - how relevent is that?

Well, there is Lake Mead, I guess....LOL

ScottZeagle:
If they wanted to make it a "come and dive" show, then water is definitely a plus, but manufacturers are not going to pay thousands of dollars to ship, set up, and man booths at a "come and dive" show.
It is a convention - not a dive trip - and as far as conventions go, no place is better than Vegas.
To loosely borrow from trait factor theory, there are two things to consider, how happy the equipment manufacturers are and how happy the dealers are. Both groups have to get what they want to make it work. If a coastal location can handle the crowds, and the potential for a dive there before, during, or after the convention brings more dealers to the show, everybody wins.

Plus, have you looked at a map lately? Do you relaize how large a percentage of our population lives on the coastlines? There are a number of large cities near coastlines in relatively warm parts of the country that can handle the numbers involved. And most are relatively close to a large percentage of the people who live on either one coast or the other. In comparison, nobody lives in Vegas and everyone has to travel a long way to get there, and once you are there, you are stuck in the middle of a desert. And as stated by someone previously, if you are not into gambling and paid sex, it isn't all that much fun there. Vegas may be a great place for an insurance convention, but DEMA could do better for a dive industry convention.

DA Aquamaster:
To loosely borrow from trait factor theory, there are two things to consider, how happy the equipment manufacturers are and how happy the dealers are. Both groups have to get what they want to make it work. If a coastal location can handle the crowds, and the potential for a dive there before, during, or after the convention brings more dealers to the show, everybody wins.

Plus, have you looked at a map lately? Do you relaize how large a percentage of our population lives on the coastlines? There are a number of large cities near coastlines in relatively warm parts of the country that can handle the numbers involved. And most are relatively close to a large percentage of the people who live on either one coast or the other. In comparison, nobody lives in Vegas and everyone has to travel a long way to get there, and once you are there, you are stuck in the middle of a desert. And as stated by someone previously, if you are not into gambling and paid sex, it isn't all that much fun there. Vegas may be a great place for an insurance convention, but DEMA could do better for a dive industry convention.
****** For once I have to disagree with DA Aquamaster about something ...... Las Vegas is the #1 entainment place in the world (better than California, Florida or New York). Where else can you find famous singers doing showes nightly, or watch seabattles betweem ships, take a walk in a Roman Plaza, have coffee in New York or Paris, ride a starship and get invaded by the Borg. There is so much to do in the city .... hey ... if we make a suggestion that they build an 10 million gallon saltwater reef for DEMA they just might do it .... only in Vegas baby ****

If they build a 10 million gallon salt water reef with a decent wreck on it, I'd probably be willing to go to Vegas as long as I could dive it. Short of that, I'd rather spend my time and money somewhere else.

The thing is that if DEMA numbers are falling and there is discontent among shop owners, managers, etc,who are less inclined to come, DEMA needs to discover what has changed, what needs to be different and then address the problem.

Ok guys .... what will it take to fix DEMA ? SUGGESTIONS ? .... (1) How about a split format where diving related businesses and their employees go the first 2 or 3 days and the general public the last two days .... (2) getting the "MAJORS" BACK TO THE SHOW ... MEET WITH THESE COMPANIES TO SEE WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET THEM BACK ONBOARD WITH THE SHOW ..... (3) Reworking the layout or plan-a-gram of the floor. Have related companies grouped together. Set limits on the size of displays .... say 250 sq. ft. for manfuctures and only 5o sq. feet for travel related businesses ? You may want to make exceptions for the "MAJORS" to get them back (1000 sq. ft.) but may sure no "MAJOR" has more space than any other "MAJOR" ...... (4) promote the show better ... have ads in all diving magazines and follow up and make sure they cover the show in their publication afterwards. Send display material to dive shops to set up and offer them a few free tickets for this service.... (5) bring IN some well known people to speak and give lectures of diving related subjects .... (6) have special workshops set up to cover business related issues important to the local dive shop .... example .. how to compete with internet .... (7) have DEMA members vote on where to hold future shows ... alternate coasts and locations to give the best possible coverage nation wide ..... (8) if in an area where diving is available set up special dives with the "Major" companies and the LDS to high light and give a hands on experience with their equipment. Also make a special offers like : hotel, 2 days at DEMA and a 2 tank dive for only $$$$ (special packages) (9) make sure that espn, cbs, abc, nbc, cnn cover the show as they would the auto show in Vegas ... give out a few free trips and perks to these people to get them with our program ..... (10) have the show early in the year (april or may) to help get everyone setup and informed before the summer diving season hits .... (11) MOST IMPORTANT .... make sure that your old friend and dive buddy (Scubapro50) GETS A LOT OF FREE TICKETS AND LET HIM WIN A TON OF DOOR PRIZES ...........................

You asked and I may make myself less than popular but here goes:

scubapro50:
Ok guys .... what will it take to fix DEMA ? SUGGESTIONS ? .... (1) How about a split format where diving related businesses and their employees go the first 2 or 3 days and the general public the last two days ....

DEMA is not a public show. Kick out all of the independent instructors, divemasters, photographers, travel agents, etc. go back to Dive shop owners and staff only. After years of talking to manufactures, I can tell you that after 4 days of DEMA, the last thing they want is to extend the show for the public. They are exhausted as I usually am as well. Less than 4 days and you're cheating the shopowners.

(2) getting the "MAJORS" BACK TO THE SHOW ... MEET WITH THESE COMPANIES TO SEE WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET THEM BACK ONBOARD WITH THE SHOW .....
I think the above would have an effect.

(3) Reworking the layout or plan-a-gram of the floor. Have related companies grouped together. Set limits on the size of displays .... say 250 sq. ft. for manfuctures and only 5o sq. feet for travel related businesses ? You may want to make exceptions for the "MAJORS" to get them back (1000 sq. ft.) but may sure no "MAJOR" has more space than any other "MAJOR" ......
I don't think this is a major issue. It cost a fortune to rent those convention centers. That fortune is mostly carried by the big guys. Goto demashow.com and read the exhibitor contract. If the big guys want to be big let them.

(4) promote the show better ... have ads in all diving magazines and follow up and make sure they cover the show in their publication afterwards. Send display material to dive shops to set up and offer them a few free tickets for this service.... Why, it's not a show for the public, shops are aware of the show.

(5) bring IN some well known people to speak and give lectures of diving related subjects .... Don't they usually do this?

(6) have special workshops set up to cover business related issues important to the local dive shop .... example .. how to compete with internet .... Don't they usually do this? as well

(7) have DEMA members vote on where to hold future shows ... alternate coasts and locations to give the best possible coverage nation wide ..... Possible but they usually bid it our to get the best deal.

(8) if in an area where diving is available set up special dives with the "Major" companies and the LDS to high light and give a hands on experience with their equipment. Also make a special offers like : hotel, 2 days at DEMA and a 2 tank dive for only $$$$ (special packages)
possible but when I go to DEMA I need all 4 days to take care of business. By the 4th day all I want to do is get home.

(9) make sure that espn, cbs, abc, nbc, cnn cover the show as they would the auto show in Vegas ... give out a few free trips and perks to these people to get them with our program ..... Good Idea

(10) have the show early in the year (april or may) to help get everyone setup and informed before the summer diving season hits ....

Too late for shops to order for the season. By April/May you should be setup for summer or you're behind. Want an example, Go to Costco right now, Snowblowers are long gone or on closeout and barbecues are everywhere even thought it's only March. Go back in August and the barbecues are gone and the Snowblowers are back.

(11) MOST IMPORTANT .... make sure that your old friend and dive buddy (Scubapro50) GETS A LOT OF FREE TICKETS AND LET HIM WIN A TON OF DOOR PRIZES ...........................

:wink:

What I'd like and reality are 2 different things going back to just the stores and manufacturers IMO would make a better show. The problem is that for some of the smaller manufacturers and the travel destinations, Having the independent Instructors, DMs, etc wandering around makes them big bucks. In the good old days there was nothing except a few t-shirts for sale at DEMA. Now you can practically walk out with anything you want.

Just my $.02 well maybe $.25

Dave

I am a noob to the DEMA shows.

While there were fewer "participants" this past DEMA, most of the vendors that I talked to claimed that they wrote FAR more business. Most of the participants were there for a reason: Get ready for next year. To that end, I think that fewer distractions are best.

FWIW, I think Orlando would be a great place for DEMA most any year. There is stuff for the family to do, while the pro is attending with the show. Diving is available, but not TOO available, if you catch my drift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom