Dying DEMA???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main problem with DEMA...and there are a ton...is that the largest manufactures control it as well as the travel industry. It was moved to October b/c of the large manufactures, it worked better for THEM and THIER inventory control systems. Screw all the small to mid size companies. Oceanic would have boycotted the show too but it looked to funny to have Bob Holis being a boad member promoting the show on one hand, and not going on the other.

Last years show was boycotted by some of the of the larger firms. Huston was a bad choice. The 3 places DEMA draws the biggest crowds, Vegas, New Orleans and Miami.

I am curious to see where the exibitors will be located, b/c they did not go, they lost the right to choose thier space.

Just my .02

Looking forward to Vegas. Should be both fun and educational. Went to Vegas in 2002, Miami in 2003, skipped Houston in 2004 and will be back in Vegas in 2005. Great venue in my opinion. Will be in Orlando next year (2006) - as Orlando is home for me, I'll probably attend that one as well.

The word I heard was that instead of paying the prices for DEMA participation, the Major manufacturers have gone to the customer rebate program. Good for them - they get their products into the hands of the customers. Good for the dive shops - they charge full price not having to worry about discounts cutting into profits. Is this the trend of the future? Probably

Someone commented about Independent Instructors not being allowed to attend. Okay, that kinda upsets me. Students tend to want what the instructor is wearing. If the instructor trusts it, then the student tends to trust it as well. When I'm asked about equipment, I never give 'the corporate line' but give the student a wide range of opinion based upon his (her) projected diving profiles and amount of disposable income. If I don't go to DEMA and talk to the various vendors, how do I know what to suggest or recommend? How do I know what's out there? How do I know what to ask my LDS to stock - they believing that no one is interested in the item? I can assure you, there are four major items in the my LDS that's there because I told them about it. Please, don't fall into the trap of Independant Instructor bashing. Instructors are kind of the foundation of the sport, whether they are affiliated with a specific shop or not.

I know a lot of you will differ with what I just said, but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Can DEMA change? They had better. Should they change? Yes, they should. How about offering show specials only at the show and allow Independents like me to buy their items (single or maybe two) at reduced cost?

Why? Read the above about students wanting to buy what the instructor wears. To date, most of my students have the same manufacturers regs in their mouths that I have (may not be the top of the line like mine, but it's the same company) and are wearing the same BC as well. No I don't 'sell' this line over that. When asked, I tell them it's because I trust the brand. Usually good enough for them!

DEMA should be kept as a Trade Show and not open to the public. Wholesale pricing is discussed in the open - information that isn't available to the public. To me, the time of year isn't relevant, but location is. Comments such as near water towns are great - if manufacturers offer dives to test out their new equipment. Other Trade Shows offer Hospitality Suites - why can't manufacturers offer hospitality dives? If the equipment is good, then it will sell itself. What better way to sell it then have a professional put it through its paces?

Again, just my opinion.

Lee

Orlando is typically the other best attended DEMA show.

The industry likes the show in towns that have a real draw, besides just the show. Vegas and Orlando have that, and they don't have to have to go far for it. Now the show will stay in these two locations for a good while.

I don't care for either actually, New Orleans is my favorite location.

Chad

The next two years will see DEMA back here in Orlando, and after that it will be Vegas, Orlando and then Vegas. Nothing after that has been announced. Orlando appeals to me since I LIVE THERE. :D It makes it easier to configure logistics and such and there won't be any rental cars or hotels involved. :D

This year's DEMA has not filled the center the way they hoped, but it's doing fine. Look for a ScubaBoard booth.

NetDoc:
The next two years will see DEMA back here in Orlando, and after that it will be Vegas, Orlando and then Vegas. Nothing after that has been announced. Orlando appeals to me since I LIVE THERE. :D It makes it easier to configure logistics and such and there won't be any rental cars or hotels involved. :D

This year's DEMA has not filled the center the way they hoped, but it's doing fine. Look for a ScubaBoard booth.

Like Pete, I like having DEMA in my home town (Houston)! :D I would never recommend having DEMA here again, however, because our downtown section ***** **** :soapbox:!!!!!! There was nothing to do for the conventioneers!

In my experience, Orlando, and Vegas have been the all time best! San Francisco was the absolute worst. Not only was it expensive, but I saw more junkies and bums wandering around there than I do in my tours as a Police Officer, when we actually go looking for same! :11:

See y'all at Lost Wages! :D

I almost did not go to DEMA this year again. I skipped Houston and sent my manager instead. She got a lot out of it because it was new to her. Going to the show as a "buyer" is the best way to go. It's harder to get those badges but for those of us who actually do the buying DEMA can be very beneficial. We all got AWESOME deals on the SeaDoo Scooter ! I ended up booking a quick trip to Vegas this year and will stay Sun/Mon/Tues with only one day on the show floor, opening day. For me, it's enough. I will definitely go to Orlando as well. Vegas is my favorite though!!! Not only are there alternate activities but there it is cheap to get there! I bought hotel ( at the Luxor with late check out of 8PM), airfare ( DFW to LAS non-stop early AM, late PM return) , and three days of car rental for $350 per person. See you at DEMA! :D :14:

I booked all of our Vegas stuff (airfare and rooms) through www.vegas.com and got a really good deal. We are staying at the Hilton, which is an easy walk to the Convention Center.

Vegas is my favorite DEMA site, but it will be nice to just drive over to Orlando the next couple of years!!!

I have heard that Aqualung will be back this year (in a much smaller capacity) but that ScubaPro still will not attend.

Regardless, it should be a good time!

Scott

Vegas was a blast in 2002, Miami was very good as well but Houston really wasn't very good. So much so in fact that none of my staff wanted to attend Houston at all so we ended up not having a booth and just wandering around.

Everyone wants to help out this year in Vegas. Despite being away from the water (unless you fancy diving in the Treasure Island or Bellagio water features) most people I speak to love the whole Vegas experience for a few days - especially when it is on expenses.

Idle Thoughts Department....

It's good to see that Aqualung will be a DEMA this year, how about Atomic and APEX? SCUBAPRO still bothers me though.

A question that I'd love to hear opinions on.... Are others starting to form the opinion that SCUBAPRO may be getting a bit arrogant? After all, they are boycotting DEMA and they boycot Skin Diver Magazine by not allowing their products to be tested.

In a way, I think they view themselves as 'above the competition' and fI ear that by distancing themselves, they run a real danger of being left outside developing trends.

Don't get me wrong, I love Scubapro fins, regs and computers, but how long do they intend to remain isolated from the industry they serve/support?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom