Dying DEMA???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The current DEMA show is Travel, Training and Trinkets. Most SCUBA gear is "booked" prior to the show. I have been at every DEMA SHOW. At first DEMA was a real market
place where dive store owners could price and compare products. It morphed into what it is now. Seminars, parties, comp trips, dive suntan lotion, and jewelry etc.
For the last ten years or so there has been little return for true dive equipment manufacturers on a cost/return basis.

Just wanted to know if HEAD SPORTS will have a booth for Mares/Dacor at DEMA this year ? If not .... why ? I miss our discussions on diving and the changes you see in the future for Mares/Dacor. Lots of questions about what's going on with your company and no answers ....

Even though some manufactures were not at DEMA in Houston their reps were. They were working and booking orders as usual. Plus we got incredible dating and discounts on the orders.

DEMA should not let non diving people in the show. This is for the industry and should stay that way. I would even eliminate the guests. If there were less people at the show I could get through faster and easier. I don't think the manufactures would complain if they only let in buyers either.

I had a good time at all the shows that I have attended but if I get to pick it would be in Vegas always.

I think that all of the manufactures should attend. They don’t need a $100,000.00 booth, but they should have a presence at the show.

shooter226:
Even though some manufactures were not at DEMA in Houston their reps were. They were working and booking orders as usual. Plus we got incredible dating and discounts on the orders.

DEMA should not let non diving people in the show. This is for the industry and should stay that way. I would even eliminate the guests. If there were less people at the show I could get through faster and easier. I don't think the manufactures would complain if they only let in buyers either.

I had a good time at all the shows that I have attended but if I get to pick it would be in Vegas always.

I think that all of the manufactures should attend. They don’t need a $100,000.00 booth, but they should have a presence at the show.
I disagree ............. the more the better as far as crowds goes. DEMA should run for 5 days straight .... the first 3 days would be limited to the "old guard" of buyers, sellers, shop owners, manfuctures, ect. ....... the last two days should be decaded to promoting scuba diving in general and open to the public. Let's make it the biggest 3 ring circus in town ..... 1st couple of day the companies focus on selling to the "folks" in the business. The last couple of days to people interested in the sport and want the chance to meet and greet the "big boys" in the business.

scubapro50:
I disagree ............. the more the better as far as crowds goes. DEMA should run for 5 days straight .... the first 3 days would be limited to the "old guard" of buyers, sellers, shop owners, manfuctures, ect. ....... the last two days should be decaded to promoting scuba diving in general and open to the public. Let's make it the biggest 3 ring circus in town ..... 1st couple of day the companies focus on selling to the "folks" in the business. The last couple of days to people interested in the sport and want the chance to meet and greet the "big boys" in the business.

As an exhibitor, let me say combo "Trade & Consumer Shows" are a disaster. It's two very different audiences, with very different interests. It really requires two different sets of display goods and literature. Very hard to do at one show.

In addition I can assure you that the some of the "Trade" folks will showup on the "Consumer Days" and visa versa. "Well it's the only days I could come" "I still need a dealers price list", "whadda ya mean you don't have them today!!!!"

Or...."Well I don't really have a dive shop, but I really like to get XXX and YYY at wholesale"

Universally I can guarantee you that very very very few of the exhibitors would want a combo show.

I exhibit at both, consumer shows and Trade shows, and trust me never the twain should meet.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
As an exhibitor, let me say combo "Trade & Consumer Shows" are a disaster. It's two very different audiences, with very different interests. It really requires two different sets of display goods and literature. Very hard to do at one show.

In addition I can assure you that the some of the "Trade" folks will showup on the "Consumer Days" and visa versa. "Well it's the only days I could come" "I still need a dealers price list", "whadda ya mean you don't have them today!!!!"

Or...."Well I don't really have a dive shop, but I really like to get XXX and YYY at wholesale"

Universally I can guarantee you that very very very few of the exhibitors would want a combo show.

I exhibit at both, consumer shows and Trade shows, and trust me never the twain should meet.

Regards,

Tobin
YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM ..... NO VISION ..... it wouldn't be that hard to pull it off. You have the people and equipment there .... just hand out different paperwork and change your attitude to customer service counts. It's your chance to show your wares to a lot of people (customers) that may not know your company products. use your salesmen to convince that "person" that you make and sell the best equipment or service and if their local dive shop doesn't have it then have them go back home as ask why not. Many manfuctures have learned that they get a lot of bang for their buck by doing local dive shows in Calif., Florida or Texas . You give a lot of potential customers a chance to see you'r stuff that may have never seen it before. Ask companies like Zeagle, Atomic, XS Scuba, Cressi who honestly tries to make a connection with the average diver and take the time to show and explain their products. Hell ... I never even saw an AREIS BC before Seaspace but liked so must I found a dive shop that sold their line. DEMA need to make a major change or it will go the way of SKIN DIVER MAGAZINE .... great once but died off because it couldn't change with the times. ....... JUST THINK About the advantages .... the first few days the show could get back to basics by limiting the number of people there and keeping out the "lookie Lou's" so you can get down to business .... the last couple of days all they other people (that you didn't want to talk to because they don't buy major $$$ for business) come in and see what you have. By spliting the show you now what group you are "preaching" to.

Well DEMA HAS changed... it is FAR more focused on TRAVEL than on gear.

However, Tobin is part of the overall solution... he just sees that he has TWO shows to get ready and not just one. Well, Tobin, that's exactly how ScubaBoard is doing it! We plan on adding BOTH users and advertisers. The former will sooner or later beget the latter. :D

scubapro50:
YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM ..... NO VISION ..... it wouldn't be that hard to pull it off. You have the people and equipment there .... just hand out different paperwork and change your attitude to customer service counts. It's your chance to show your wares to a lot of people (customers) that may not know your company products. use your salesmen to convince that "person" that you make and sell the best equipment or service and if their local dive shop doesn't have it then have them go back home as ask why not. Many manfuctures have learned that they get a lot of bang for their buck by doing local dive shows in Calif., Florida or Texas . You give a lot of potential customers a chance to see you'r stuff that may have never seen it before. Ask companies like Zeagle, Atomic, XS Scuba, Cressi who honestly tries to make a connection with the average diver and take the time to show and explain their products. Hell ... I never even saw an AREIS BC before Seaspace but liked so must I found a dive shop that sold their line. DEMA need to make a major change or it will go the way of SKIN DIVER MAGAZINE .... great once but died off because it couldn't change with the times. ....... JUST THINK About the advantages .... the first few days the show could get back to basics by limiting the number of people there and keeping out the "lookie Lou's" so you can get down to business .... the last couple of days all they other people (that you didn't want to talk to because they don't buy major $$$ for business) come in and see what you have. By spliting the show you now what group you are "preaching" to.

That's leap. I do both kinds of shows. I want to talk to everybody, I just usually lose my voice ~ half way through day 3. I learn differnt things at each. I love the chance to talk directly to users. That's one of the huge benefits of SB, unfiltered feedback from end users.

I too agree that DEMA has changed in ways that are not healthy for the long term. My suggestion would be a return to a winter / early spring time frame. Regional consumer shows are in my opinion a better fit than a "national" consumer show. The problem is "Dive Travel" gets booked in the fall for fall winter and spring. I don't see a way around this problem if Dive shops need to see travel operators in the early fall.

Hey I'd love it if there was just one annual "do it all show" I just don't see it working all that well.

5 days is a looong time. Trust me on the 4 & 5th days attendees will not be seeing any of the booth staffers at their best. For smaller companies that means all the staff is out of the office for 6-7 days, very hard to do, and maintain any kind of customer service durring that period for the vast majority of your customers who aren't at the show, don't care that your out of town, just want their problem solved now.

I have experience as an exhibitor in another recreational sport activity. Been to many trade shows, been to many consumer shows. Been to two combo events, both disasters. Too long, to confused, many people upset. Dealers mad that what they consider a consumer got a hold of a "dealer" price list. Consumers mad that they can't buy at wholesale. "Maybe dealers" (folks we aren't sure about) offended that we won't provide a dealer price list. It goes on and on.

Consumers expect to purchase gear at the show. Now we have to transport 2 sets of literature (and keep them seperate) + enough stock for the consumers (how much? who knows!) Hope all this is not stolen from the booth, and enjoy the tender mercies of the local exhibition hall unions to move said goods into and back out of the hall. It's just not a good scene.

Scubapro50, might I ask what goods you have represented at either a Trade show, consumer show, or combo show?

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom