Ears after diving a lot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon J Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Everyone.

I've been doing a lot of diving lately as iv'e been doing my DMT and since iv'e returned home I noticed pressure changes in my ears when iv'e been driving up even small hills. Not to the point where its uncomfortable, but it never used to happen.

Just wondering if everyone experiences this after diving day in day out for a few months?

Simon

That is pretty much normal for me regardless of diving. My right ear is more sensitive than my left but when I drive up a medium sized hill it will sometimes need to be cleared. I have slightly dysfunctional eustacian tubes so I am always stretching (yawn with mouth closed) them to practice clearing.

If you've been doing a lot of diving, you probably have stressed-out your eardrums. They are probably a little sore and more sensitive to pressure. You should probably get looked at by a doctor to make sure you haven't damaged anything and to check your eustachion tubes to make sure they flow freely.

Pressure without discomfort, to say nothing of pain, should be no issue at all. Be attentive to it, but not oversensitive to it. Sometime a rapid fall or rise on the barometer can be felt in your ears, but no discomfort or pain is involved. The same is true with mountain driving here in Colorado- you can certainly sense pressure change, but rarely do you have to equalize when driving or riding up a mountain. DivemasterDennis

sounds normal to me.........good luck on your DMT..where are you doing classes?

Why not go to a doctor if you are concerned about it?

Normal for me as well. I need to clear in the elevator going to and from the 13th floor where I work. Also in the train tunnels going under the Hudson river.

When you say DMT you are referring to Divemaster Training not Diver Medic Technician, correct? My DMT (Diver Medic) required no dives, at least not in water. :)

Thanks guys.

It's not so much that i'm worried about it as it isn't really a problem or cause any pain, I was more just curious.

Yes, I meant Divemaster training and I completed it two weeks ago in Tenerife. I haven't dived for a week now and i'm missing it already!

I have noticed that I detect pressure changes more than I used to now that I am a diver (sometimes even in an long'ish elevator ride). It's never painful, but rather a feeling of equalization. I don't think it's a physical side effect, but more noticeable due to me being more consciously aware of my ears.

I do however get "cotton wool" ear after a lot of diving. It feels like I have cotton wool in my ears and am not hearing 100%. It's not painful, and I try equalize from the moment I hit the water. It's getting better the more diving I do as I am finding it easier to equalize doing jaw wiggles. Is this strain on the eardrum or maybe the signs of an impending infection?

Anyone else experience this?

Just happened to me..

I did 2 dives of 18 & 16 mts, beautiful dive, for a change not work, just a fun dive seeing wildlife, squid, octypuss, crayfish, etc etc
Had a leaky mask and had to clear it a couple of times, didn´t notice at the time underwater but a couple of hours after on the surface felt the water still in my left ear, didn´t realy hurt only compromised hearing and that unconfortable feeling of blocked ears, now I have applied ear drops to try and `` dry out ´´ it hurts a bit, spoke to my instructor, NO DIVING for me untill it gets better...

Pesky ears, what a dissapointment, was really looking forward to a couple more dives this weekend with some very experienced divers, and I need the time underwater to perfect my bouyancy control, oh well better take some time off now that make matters worse....

:hanged:

Back
Top Bottom