East End of Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East End RTB

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post to this board. I registered simply to find out how many of you ever experienced the far east end of Roatan? I am putting together lodging out there and it is to the point where it can accept quite a few visitors for purposes of diving but as of right now there is no dive shop. Has anyone that has been to Roatan ever thought or considered heading that far? I am looking for input and feedback.

Thanks

EM

Nope. I kept pretty busy on the west side of the island. Please post a trip report when you return and a progress report of your planning. There are many regular contributors to the Bay Islands forums so I'm sure others will be adding input soon.

Welcome to SB!

I stayed at Mango Creek Lodge in 2006 - gorgeous place, great flyfishing which was the draw for us. I spent a day diving with Reef House Resort; their divemaster, David, was extraordinary and I thought the diving was pretty spectacular, too.

Thanks for the responses folks but I was a little unclear with my post. I am an actual land owner on the East End and was trying to get feedback from folks that ever "thought" of going that far east during trips to Roatan. Previously, heading east took a lot of planning and most likely required a stay over night.

The West End and packed full of tourists and I would assume that there are some people out there that would enjoy or more remote vacation.

If I am violating and terms of service please let me know. I'm not trying to advertise (not yet) just getting feedback so that I could steer towards a certain direction.

Just how far east are you talking about? I've been to Reef House and loved the diving, I assume the diving is even better the farther east you go. I've heard good things about Morat Wall and other dives near that. Are you that far? How would people get to your place?

Just how far east? Santa Elena is on the Eastern most end of Roatan. Morat Wall would be about 2 miles or less by boat from the "Point" where the lodge is located. As far as transportation is concerned, the only way to get to "Elene" is via boat which we could provide transportation to/from Oak Ridge. Electricity is scarce but is provided with generators. From the Point of Elene you could see Guanaja, Babareta, Morat, Pigeon, and Little Keys. It is a few hundred yards across from Ross Key. I am in the process of setting of DirecTV and am going to begin securing items to make cell communications more stable because they are very spotty out this far east.

I am not trying to compete with other resorts down west. I am trying to offer flexibility for those interested in coming east. Other boats can stop at the dock and grab a drink or a bite to eat on the way back from the Wall at the bar on the water.

Thanks for your input!

EM

Sounds pretty cool. Like I said before, please keep us in the loop. Always interested in trying new stuff, new places.

WILCO

I am going down in two weeks. In the mean time I going to work on some small intricacies. The plan is for per day rate with 3 meals included. Since I'm not diver I would like input from you guys as to basic essentials that could be useful to divers as I am not trying to run a dive shop. I'll get some maps a pics up and maybe that will give a better idea on the location for those who only know about the western portion.

I'm very interested, but how much do you actually know about the east end of the island? I almost had a reply posted when I saw that you sent a new post saying you don't want to open a dive operation and you need a pick up and map to look over the east end. Are you kidding? You can't get there with a pick-up even if there were such a thing as a map of it. Have you even looked at it on Google Earth? The remoteness is incomprehensible to someone who isn't [FONT=&quot]intimately[/FONT] familiar with the whole island and the people there, especially those on the far east end.

Pray tell us more about your idea. I would love to have the opportunity to dive the far east end in relative safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom