Eating crow: Santi custom cut suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, my new seal was tight, too, but I don't dare trim it because I know that within a few dives, it won't be any more. The wrist seals were amazing -- for the suits I have where I replace my own, I buy the DUI cone seals and cut an itty bitty tiny hole in the end, so the seals won't leak around my tendons. These that Ocean Edge found are THAT small!

I DID end up buying the throughport for the vest that Santi sells. I had had the SiTech throughport before, and I was never happy with the connectors, even after I replaced them with a set I liked better than the originals. The new connector seals much better, is easier to mate, and has a positive lock on it so it can't pull apart while you are diving.

Mine was so tight that my face began turning very red almost immediately and my vision started blurring. I too was hesitant about cutting but diving under those conditions was not going to be an option.

I figure as dry diving is new to me there will be a learning curve out of the water too, donning/doffing, learning to cut seals etc. I'm sure it will initially cost me extra as no doubt ill make a mistake with something and have to return it for a seal repair.

Must say the whole sitec Neck Tite system seems appealing at this juncture. May end up going down that road despite being advised otherwise. At $200 plus postage for neck and wrist seal replacement I wouldn't want to be doing that too often.

I've been cutting my own seals for years -- I have yet to ruin one. If you are very careful and use sharp instruments, and understand that the goal is no abrupt contour changes, you'll be fine.

The SiTech ring system is a double-edged sword. Yes, it's nice to be able to replace one's own seals, but it is a nuisance to have a big ring system on your wrist when you otherwise don't need one, and the neck ring can seriously interfere with reaching valves in doubles. If I lived where you do, and primarily dove a single tank, I'd probably think harder about the ring system.

Mine was so tight that my face began turning very red almost immediately and my vision started blurring. I too was hesitant about cutting but diving under those conditions was not going to be an option.

I figure as dry diving is new to me there will be a learning curve out of the water too, donning/doffing, learning to cut seals etc. I'm sure it will initially cost me extra as no doubt ill make a mistake with something and have to return it for a seal repair.

Must say the whole sitec Neck Tite system seems appealing at this juncture. May end up going down that road despite being advised otherwise. At $200 plus postage for neck and wrist seal replacement I wouldn't want to be doing that too often.

I have the SiTech ring system on both my neck and wrist and I love it. I can remove the seals for washing and drying after diving in places with suspended fine sand. Having the peace of mind to be able to replace any torn seals in the field is also comforting. I recommend getting them.

During the MTM process, Santi actually informs you if they think you're too small sized to install the neck ring, and they won't do it. If you're a typical to larger sized male, the neck ring doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't notice it at all. My guess is Lynne is probably too petite to install the neck ring system, and it becomes a hindrance for her case.

As for the neck seals they loosen with use. I felt mine was too tight initially too, but my LDS would not cut it. They said unless I was blue in the face, it isn't too tight. I could hardly breathe and can't imagine being in the suit for more than a minute. Trick is to pull the seal below your Adam's apple, and your body gets used to it. The seals also loosen with use. After 1-2 dives, they felt comfortable. I was glad I listend to the guys at the LDS.

I've been cutting my own seals for years -- I have yet to ruin one. If you are very careful and use sharp instruments, and understand that the goal is no abrupt contour changes, you'll be fine.

The SiTech ring system is a double-edged sword. Yes, it's nice to be able to replace one's own seals, but it is a nuisance to have a big ring system on your wrist when you otherwise don't need one, and the neck ring can seriously interfere with reaching valves in doubles. If I lived where you do, and primarily dove a single tank, I'd probably think harder about the ring system.

Yes, I think I might get the neck ring fitted when my current seal blows out. I'm diving today with a friend who has the system fitted to his Whites, I'll measure the ring to see just how big it is and if it will interfere with my harness. I only single tank dive so reaching valves won't be an issue.

Depending on how well my hands hold up in wet gloves I've decided I'll try the Kubi/UTD gloves as they come with a smaller wrist ring.

Must say I'm a little nervous first dive and all can't help thinking about Marcia. Slow and steady nice and shallow.

Happy New Year.

---------- Post added January 10th, 2014 at 07:58 PM ----------

I have the SiTech ring system on both my neck and wrist and I love it. I can remove the seals for washing and drying after diving in places with suspended fine sand. Having the peace of mind to be able to replace any torn seals in the field is also comforting. I recommend getting them.

During the MTM process, Santi actually informs you if they think you're too small sized to install the neck ring, and they won't do it. If you're a typical to larger sized male, the neck ring doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't notice it at all. My guess is Lynne is probably too petite to install the neck ring system, and it becomes a hindrance for her case.

As for the neck seals they loosen with use. I felt mine was too tight initially too, but my LDS would not cut it. They said unless I was blue in the face, it isn't too tight. I could hardly breathe and can't imagine being in the suit for more than a minute. Trick is to pull the seal below your Adam's apple, and your body gets used to it. The seals also loosen with use. After 1-2 dives, they felt comfortable. I was glad I listend to the guys at the LDS.

Yes, that's exactly what Santi told me. I'm pretty small usually XS in most things.

I hope I didn't cut it prematurely, it was very tight and affecting my vision, guess I'll find out in a few hours.

I'm with TSandM on the Si-Tech neck ring system on this one. I will agree that Silicone seals are superior in comfort. However, my neck ring system kept pushing the straps of my harness off my shoulders, which made clipping things very difficult. You do need to cut the neck seal to the appropriate diameter. Invert the latex neck seal so you can see the grooves and cut as you see fit. I had to remove quite a few rings before I achieved the proper fit. You can use a large can to stretch the seal and cut with a razor blade or use very sharp scissors.

For those with wide shoulder or that are tall of stature, the neck ring system shouldn't pose any problems. However, if you're around 5'5 like I am, they aren't a good solution.

Last edited:
buddhasummer, you should realize that if you put the user-replaceable rings on the wrists, you are obligated to use the SiTech dry glove systems. And from my experience of the other night with a buddy who had the Antares rings, I wouldn't recommend them.

buddhasummer, you should realize that if you put the user-replaceable rings on the wrists, you are obligated to use the SiTech dry glove systems. And from my experience of the other night with a buddy who had the Antares rings, I wouldn't recommend them.

Yes.
Something to consider.
I had the user replaceable wrist rings on my previous drysuit, but I didn't really like the dry glove system so much.

On my current eMotion, I opted for the regular bottle shaped wrist seals, and use the Viking rings.

I like the Viking rings much more.

Yes, I'd only get the neck seal not the wrists. My friend has them and they are huge you could drive a train through them.

For those with wide shoulder or that are tall of stature, the neck ring system shouldn't pose any problems. However, if you're around 5'5 like I am, they aren't a good solution.
I experienced the same problem as you with the neck ring causing the BP straps to slide off my shoulders. I'm a 5'9", 165lb guy measuring roughly 42" around the shoulders. I had the neck ring removed from my Fusion, totally unsatisfactory.

However, Si-Tech does provide instructions on how to pre-bend the neck ring (using heat) to fit your shoulders before installing the ring in the suit. I may try that approach in the future.

Back
Top Bottom