elastic crotch strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one benefit of having an elastic crotch strap is that if you get hung up when doing a giant stride off a boat,you can apply for PADIs bungee cord jump speciality (I know PADI has got to have one)

Like to hear more about your efforts in this area. Many of the things we have now that we consider standard came about because someone thinking outside the box challanged the norm. Thanks for sharing this with us.

dumpsterDiver:
I have LP OMS steel 121 and 108 and also Al 100 and 80's and carry a Al 13 cu-ft pony and carry a Al 14 cu-ft oxygen bottle sometimes. As far as strange looks from DIR people.. well I don't dive with any of them and don't know any personally... or I would be aking them this question. And thank you for the replies. We will see in a few hours how it works

Just curious,why the large tanks and such a small oxygen bottle?

dumpsterDiver:
The bungi gives the strap maybe 2 inches of stretch and that is all. I'm hoping that it can be adjusted to put a gentle, somewhat constant pull and be able to adjust for any suit compression. If the bungi allows it to ride up, it wont be very far....

I made this post to get answers, not to answer more questions???

By asking questions you often get to the answers. In this case, I'm sure mostly everyone is going to agree that the elastic crotch strap sounds like a bad or useless idea.

Have you looked at the DiveRite 1" crotch straps? (Sorry for asking a question :wink: ) They have a quick release clip in the front for easy hookup/release. They are also very easy to adjust by sliding the guide from the front, so loosing up the strap should only take a second and can be done with your gear on.

Good luck.

What benefit are you looking for in the crotch strap? Normally it's pretty lose so suit compression is not an issue.

I've used both the one inch DiveRite with the quick release and a standard soft two inch webbing. Comfort level is the same.

I wouldn't think you could use a scotter ring on the bungiee strap.

If you are horizontal then the crotch strap doesn't really do that much, and you should be horizontal most of the time.

I can't remember any discomfort from either strap I've used, and I've been in pretty much every position underwater.

dumpsterDiver,

You've described your solution fairly well but I'm not clear on the *problem* you're trying to solve..... Want to go into that a bit?

R..

This guy in his first SB post tells us that he dives solo, on air, to 190, with a 13 cuft pony, and a 14 cuft 100%... all without any training...

... and then asks if a bungee chord crotch strap is dangerous! :11doh:

On top of that he suggests that he's adopting bits and pieces of DIR and then states that "this is not a troll post."

C'mon. Wake up! Smell the coffee!

Stephen Ash:
This guy in his first SB post tells us that he dives solo, on air, to 190, with a 13 cuft pony, and a 14 cuft 100%... all without any training...

... and then asks if a bungee chord crotch strap is dangerous! :11doh:

On top of that he suggests that he's adopting bits and pieces of DIR and then states that "this is not a troll post."

C'mon. Wake up! Smell the coffee!

I liked the part where he says that he has no technical training but he decos on 100% and avoids metal to metal connections... LOL

I don't know why he said those things. I'm just trying to get him to talk about his problems one at a time.... :)

R..

Diver0001:
I'm just trying to get him to talk about his problems one at a time.... :)
We would be here for years.

Ah well.....let's give him the benefit of the doubt, eh? Maybe he just wanted to make sure we'd remember him.... LOL

Not everyone is a writer, not everyone says it the way it is and some people have first post jitters that make them say things they'd rather forget. Maybe he has all three.... :) At least he isn't slagging anyone off and blaming them for his problems.....

R..

I used the new backplate and wings today and it seemed to work ok. It was no more comfortable than my seaquest BC and really did not feel much dfferent in the water than a BC. Maybe I will convince myself the money was well spent because I'm more streamlined, but to be honest it felt about the same.

I used the crotch strap for both dives and had it adjusted so that it had a tiny bit of tension in it, however while bending over on the boat while wearing the tank, it does seem to get a little tight. Maybe people don't need elasticity in the strap because they wear it looser than I'm attempting to do.

Probably next trip I'll forgo the crotch strap and see if I really need it.
I wore a single steel 108 tank today, and 6 lbs of lead on the weight belt (with a 5mm wetsuit and hooded vest). The wings did NOT seem to have a noticable tendency to roll me over face down on the surface as I was somewhat apprehensive about.

And the question about the little oxygen pony... well that is all I have right now. It gives me 5-8 minutes or so of deco with it half full and then I do the rest of the deco on air. (If I don't get too hammered on this post, my next question will be about which deco gas to use for (air dives to 185 for 15 minutes) 50% or 100%? I will not take two deco gases...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom