Emergency Equipment to Assist Search and Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think very early on ( before the thread split) Iya suggested the best was a combination of PLB, some sort of AIS, and a VHF WITH another VHF hung around the boat boys neck.

I also think out here, it is probably also safer to dive in waves, so you have a responsible adult from your party on board at all times, to keep the boat boy awake, keep a proper look out and generally be helpful, but unfortunately, most divers just don't understand that concept.

Personally, I have a PLB, and just bought a lifeline AND have a VHF to leave on the boat. I've dug out my collapsible flag, and whistle, and I'm tempted by a Smartfind S10, but would have to learn more about some sort of receiver for on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and I'm tempted by a Smartfind S10, but would have to learn more about some sort of receiver for on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartfind S10 is a great man over board device. Commercial fisherman love it! They can rescue their guy fast, without having to call the coast guard, etc. What you would need on-board is just a standard recreational AIS receiver, as well as some way to plot a person's position, manually or electronically. If you search google for "Class B AIS", that's all you would need to receive it. Here in the US, they sell for about $500 to $1,500 or so.

A lot of good information here. Also, don't forget the low tech stuff like a mirror, SMB , and strobe light.

The original context was that you emerge from a dive to find yourself with no boat, out in the middle of the ocean, in a 3rd world country with a record for having this kind of thing happening routinely, that also has a poorly funded SAR organization that appears to have other issues that reduce effectiveness. That's why the PLB and other such tools are important.

I got a fast email reply from Hdvseatek. I think their own site could carry more information, but here are the internal dimensions of the Large & Small canisters: Large 70mm x 150mm; Small 70mm x 130mm / 2.75"x5.9" and 2.75"x5.1". No, I can't see carrying one in a BC pocket, but clipping one to my BC like I have the heavy aluminum canister will work. I guess it would be nice to carry a survival blanket inside too, and use the shiny silver as a reflective aid in being spotted on a dark sea.

The fact that you used the "Topide only carry pouches" underwater says it all! As is pointed out on the website (and the ebay listing) the pouches are NOT DESIGNED FOR UNDERWATER USE...and should not be used underwater!
Also, if you don't apply O-ring grease to the O-rings of course they will leak...true for camera housings, strobes...and PLB containers. Dry O-rings get distorted during compression...and leak.

Every HDVSEATEK canister is individually pressure tested to 70m in a hydro test tank prior to shipping. How well the end user maintains them is up to the user.

Don't forget that most PLB's are water resistant to varying degrees. A leaky container (unless catastrophic) shouldn't result in any damage to the PLB.

As far as size is concerned different manufacturers design containers for different PLBs and/or other safety accessories. Some (Custom Divers) are made for a specific model of PLB (Fastfind). Not much else will fit. Others (McMurdo and HDVSEATEK) are for the larger PLBs...the latter specifically for the Australian made GME AccuSat. Smaller is not always better (lower transmit power; smaller battery; no powerful strobe; doesn't float). A larger canister can also contain a signal mirror; small flares/star shells (Pains Wessex); and an aluminized thermal blanket as a surface marker and sun shade.

As an additional benefit, the slightly larger canisters can also accommodate many different models of handheld VHF marine radio instead of a PLB. This gives the option of first resort being radio communication with the dive boat...or going to the other canister with the PLB if there is no response to the radio alert.
I take it that this is your company? It would be nice to state if the Large will hold an ACR 2881, and the Small a Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1. I'll be sure to grease my O-ring. Sealife camera O-rings do not require silicone grease, in fact they advise against using it, so you might look into those. I do commonly carry silicone grease for my dive lights and my moustache tho. (Why does google spelling object to that word?) :idk:

And I don't know why you bother supplying a pouch if it's not be used in water?

I used silicone to grease the o-rings so they were not dry. I even cleaned and re-greased 2 of the canisters to no effect, they still leaked. And this a brand new canister. I appreciate you make and sell them but it's big to the point of not bring something that can be easily stored on a dive. So why wasn't the pouch designed for underwater use? I'm curious as to the thought behind the reasoning as to why not. I had the pouch attached to the tank band, a perfect spot for it and easily reachable on the surface. Obviously wasn't designed for this (my mistake) as it tore apart in days, what was it designed for?

On eBay it states easily will fit in a BCD pocket. What BCD pocket were you using??
I am curious why you had problems? Did you not complain to the ebay seller? Ebay has a wonderful buyer protection policy so getting a refund would have been easy enough.

Seeker242, thanks so much for your expert input. :crafty:

I used silicone to grease the o-rings so they were not dry. I even cleaned and re-greased 2 of the canisters to no effect, they still leaked. And this a brand new canister. I appreciate you make and sell them but it's big to the point of not bring something that can be easily stored on a dive. So why wasn't the pouch designed for underwater use? I'm curious as to the thought behind the reasoning as to why not. I had the pouch attached to the tank band, a perfect spot for it and easily reachable on the surface. Obviously wasn't designed for this (my mistake) as it tore apart in days, what was it designed for? On eBay it states easily will fit in a BCD pocket. What BCD pocket were you using??? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HView attachment 215697Dr

Well, if for some reason there is a genuine fault (unlikely) you are covered by warranty...just ask and you will get a replacement. Send them back! Talk/complain to the manufacturer! It's your right and sensible feedback always is useful.

No the ebay listing doesn't say that that it will fit ALL BCD pockets...once again read it more carefully before jumping to general conclusions. My criteria in buying a BCD is for it to have decent pockets (eg Scubapro Nighthawk and Glide; Cressi Start; etc. There are always technical pouches available...which I use when diving with twins+backplate. Surely finding a way to attach a canister isn't rocket science?

Ha ha...so getting free topside carry pouches is a problem? Would you rather a brown paper bag? If they were made tough enough for SAFE underwater use the canister would be selling for more that double the price...(that's why tech pouches are $100 +) and most people would prefer to work out their own way of attaching a canister.

Grommets? Ever wash your gear and wish that the water would drain out of the mask bags? Yes the pouches can be rinsed no problem. Belt attachment? The canister is also used by non divers in adventure situations...why not have it on one's belt when jungle walking through a river in Borneo?

Size...that's been clearly covered. The canisters were designed SPECIFICALLY for the superb Australian made GME Accusat 410G PLB...is that so difficult to understand? It's shown in all of the photos!

If you want to put a recently available micro PLB into it (I certainly wouldn't for the reasons already explained) why get a canister of this size...the dimensions are clearly stated on the ebay listing. You can always use the extra space for additional safey equipment...or an extra PLB when the equally micro battery in your micro PLB dies.

Diving from a commercial boat, thus far no PLB but I do carry a SMB, mirror and sometimes a flashing strobe and a tether line.

Shore diving (contents vary according to location), attached to my surface float a GPS, PLB, aerial flares, signal mirror, dye packets, mirror, hand held VHF, strobe.

My boat, I have a PLB (Fast Find), aerial flares, smoke flares, one aerial rocket, signal flag, dye, mirror, VHF and hand held VHF, strobe and of course it has multiple GPS units.

My kayak, I have a GPS, PLB, aerial flares, signal mirror, dye packets, mirror, hand held VHF, strobe.

N

I am still amazed to see plenty of divers don't even have a flimsy smb in their kits!

This also astounds me

Yeah, I own an ACR 2881, but rent the canister - and it is a bit bulky, heavy on land, not sure if it's buoyant in water. If I didn't already own one, I'd get this one: OceanSignal rescueME PLB w/ GPS - even smaller. It does have to be carried in the neoprene pouch to be buoyant, and I am not sure if the unit & pouch would fit inside the smaller, cheaper canisters available. I did email the company to ask, but they couldn't suggest a canister. I may have caught customer service on a bad day.

Just put a few condoms over. Will be extremely water tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom