Enquiries on various AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smurfzzz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have completed by open water in Jan, and had a small log of 8 dives till date. Moving forward, I'm now ready to continue to pursue this passion, hence I'm looking at the various options of further progression.

My openwater was SSI certification. I live in Asia, and 99% of the dive shops I came across are offering PADI. Not that padi's bad, but I just want more options and not go with the flow (I'm those type that likes to have something different instead of popular).

There are many different types of progression to the next level from various agencies, I want to know what are my options, and the pre requisite?

Eg:
PADI - Advance Open Water (no pre-requisite)
SSI - Speciality Diver / Advance Open Water Diver (with a min log dives)
NAUI - ???
SDI/TDI - ???
CMAS - ???
BSAC - ???
And what else????

Your options are whatever the local dive centres offer.

If you don't have a BSAC club, you would not be able to go for BSAC etc.

Generally, the pre-requisite would be an entry level certification from the particular agency (or equivalent) and maybe a minimum number of dives

Second level training options (prerequisite Open-Water/entry-level qualification for the major global agencies are;

PADI - Advance Open Water
SSI - Advanced Adventurer (same as PADI AOW), Specialty Diver or Advanced Open Water (closest to PADI MSD)
NAUI - Advanced Scuba
SDI/TDI - Advanced Adventure Diver
CMAS - 2* Diver
BSAC - Sports Diver
ANDI - Advanced Open Water (Level 2)
IANTD - Advanced Open Water Diver
PSAI - Advanced Open Water
SAA - Club Diver

I didn't include GUE or UTD, as I am unaware of whether you can enroll directly on their 'core' courses without prerequisite training in their own agencies. Otherwise, you can enroll on stuff like 'Fundamentals'.

GUE has the Primer and Fundamentals classes, which have equipment prerequisites, but their only diving prereq is OW. Living Seas in Singapore offers these classes.

Back
Top Bottom