Entry Level Dive Comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Help me decide.

I'm about to pull the trigger on either a Cressi Leonardo Wrist Computer ($199) or a Suunto Zoop Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer ($224).

Cressi Leonardo

Suunto Zoop Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer

Which model would you guys go with?

I dive about a few weeks out of the year in the Carribean. I also usually dive Nitrox.

I have a Mac computer, I'm wondering if you can download data from either one. It says on the reviews PC. Don't know if it's apple compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Cressi computer but my wife dives the Zoop and she likes it a lot. If I were unfamiliar with either DC, and those were my only choices, I would go with the Zoop simply because it is a 3 button computer as opposed to the one button Cressi. My wife's first computer was a one button and we both hated it. We couldn't replace it fast enough.

As for Mac compatible, I think the DM5 software is but I strongly suggest not using it as it is not very good. Use a 3rd party program such as Subsurface. It is much better and has a Windows and Mac version as well as Android and iPhone companion apps. And it's all free.

Last edited:
I agree with @BurhanMuntasser that PZ+ might be a better deco algorithm for you rather than the Cressi or Suunto versions of RGBM. These are all puck computers. Oceanic computers are currently 20% off and run both PZ+ and DSAT. The Veo2 ($240) is a puck like the i300, the Geo2 ($280) is watch style

There are several threads on SB discussing deco algorithms, often a contentious topic

I wouldn't get either one. For this much money, I'd get one of these three options (first is best):

1. Aqua Lung i300C Wrist Computer

2. Aqua Lung i100 Wrist Computer

3. Aqua Lung i300 Wrist Computer
+1 on this recommendation.

I just purchased number 1, and it will bluetooth link to my Android phone (and, allegedly, iphones) and "dump" the dive data to . Pretty cool: You can see a XY graph of time vs. depth. (So I'm a Luddite when it comes to dive gear; maybe all dive computers can dump this to a computer?) I'm not sure, but I think the two computers I own that can "talk" to a computer require you buy additional optional hardware to make the connection. The Aqua Lung might not: It's bluetooth compatible, so I don't know why it wouldn't talk to a Mac but you never know. It appears you can get the required software (Diverlog+) for a Mac. See DiverLog and DiverLog+ - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

I really should ask for a commission on the sales of these....

+1 on this recommendation.

I just purchased number 1, and it will bluetooth link to my Android phone (and, allegedly, iphones) and "dump" the dive data to . Pretty cool: You can see a XY graph of time vs. depth. (So I'm a Luddite when it comes to dive gear; maybe all dive computers can dump this to a computer?) I'm not sure, but I think the two computers I own that can "talk" to a computer require you buy additional optional hardware to make the connection. The Aqua Lung might not: It's bluetooth compatible, so I don't know why it wouldn't talk to a Mac but you never know. It appears you can get the required software (Diverlog+) for a Mac. See DiverLog and DiverLog+ - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

I really should ask for a commission on the sales of these....

You like it without issues? No problem reading the screen underwater or understanding the display? Anything at all?

I am contemplating using it as a standard in our dive school training equipment fleet. I am also looking at the SP equivalent.

You like it without issues? No problem reading the screen underwater or understanding the display? Anything at all?

I am contemplating using it as a standard in our dive school training equipment fleet. I am also looking at the SP equivalent.
Well.... I'm old. I have purchased but not yet installed a little magnifying glass in my mask so I can read a set of old analog gauges I've got. ("Huh, I guess I got to 70'. Underwater, I was guessing it was at 60'")

On the AL i300c, I can see the mission critical stuff (depth, max depth, no deco time remaining) without any trouble. I do have trouble reading the tiniest text on the unit, but that says more about my eyes than much of anything else.

FWIW, my LDS is switching their fleet over to these, which is how I happened to buy it. The manager was oohing and ahhing about them to an Instructor, who was impressed, and I eavesdropped.

I'd say my only complaint is it's not air integrated, but for the price that's OK> Since it's not bad to have a backup computer and I loved the download view, I bought one for myself a couple months later.

Well.... I'm old. I have purchased but not yet installed a little magnifying glass in my mask so I can read a set of old analog gauges I've got. ("Huh, I guess I got to 70'. Underwater, I was guessing it was at 60'")

On the AL i300c, I can see the mission critical stuff (depth, max depth, no deco time remaining) without any trouble. I do have trouble reading the tiniest text on the unit, but that says more about my eyes than much of anything else.

FWIW, my LDS is switching their fleet over to these, which is how I happened to buy it. The manager was oohing and ahhing about them to an Instructor, who was impressed, and I eavesdropped.

I'd say my only complaint is it's not air integrated, but for the price that's OK> Since it's not bad to have a backup computer and I loved the download view, I bought one for myself a couple months later.

Thanks, I was looking for a diver/student point of view concerning this computer before I will commit to it in my dive school equipment fleet.

I am an "AI" type of diver but if I were to get a non-AI computer, this would be it.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as entry level dive computer. I am still using one of my original purchase back in 1997.
Aqualung i300 is my suggestion. This model is being replaced by i300C which has other features wthat as far as I am concern has nothing to do with actual diving.
Leisurepro has i300 at US$174.95.

Just remember that if you go with the non-bluetooth model, the aqualung PC connector is quite expensive ($85)

Back
Top Bottom