Entry Level Dive Comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To pay extra for a "down load" cable? Why didn't I do that 20 yrs ago? Because it was, and still is, absolutely un-necessary.

Just remember that if you go with the non-bluetooth model, the aqualung PC connector is quite expensive ($85)

So's Cressi's IR kit and whatever Suunto's using -- AFAIK the only one that doesn't come close to $100 is the Mares cable. And Bluetooth is cheap only if you have a built-in BT tranciever in your laptop and/or can pair your DC to phone and have an app to pull the log and an app to save them...

+3 on i300, it's simply more computer for less money.

PS. in all fairness a USB BT dongle is not expensive, but a $175 computer plus $85 cable is still less than a $300 computer and a cheap BT dongle.

Last edited:
BT transceivers are a standard feature on reasonably current laptops and part of the Wi-Fi module. A dongle or a module with BT is within $10. With BT, you don't have to bring the cable with you, and it's less likely to be damaged.

I second the AL i300 recommendation. It's well built, it's got the right algo, and the minimum usable UI. This is the cheapest PDC I can think of that a rec diver won't find themselves looking to replace in a year. One button just isn't enough.

As for whether to get the cable or pay extra for BT, it's very much a frill. Most divers never bother with downloading and managing their dive log. A few have it as a sub-hobby in itself.

If you’re trained and understand tables and algorithms which suit your type of diving, buy a bottom timer for 130$ and get a slate to write your info down. It is so much simpler and cheaper than having to faff around while listening to an incredibly annoying beeping noise when you’re at 30 m for more than like 10mins...

If you’re untrained in tables, waste your money and get an expensive computer. Obviously if you’re diving serious technical diving, you will need an expensive computer and for rebreather dives you need a rebreather computer but apart from that, don’t bother you don’t need it.

Every computer should obey the diver not the other way around, some people listen to whatever it says and are way too dependent on it, oh clean your hair, therefore you must go to the shower....

I wish as divers we could put in our info into the computer and it served us, not us serving the computers needs.

If you’re trained and understand tables and algorithms which suit your type of diving, buy a bottom timer for 130$ and get a slate to write your info down. It is so much simpler and cheaper ...

Yeah, yeah, two sets of Shearwater DSAT tables for everyone.

I dive a couple of weeks/year in the Caribbean and for that kind of diving: f$%k tables. $200 computer is cheap at the price. YDiveProfilesMV and all that.

Yeah, yeah, two sets of Shearwater DSAT tables for everyone.

I dive a couple of weeks/year in the Caribbean and for that kind of diving: f$%k tables. $200 computer is cheap at the price. YDiveProfilesMV and all that.
My post was emphasised more on knowing your tables and not having a computer rather than having a computer and not knowing your tables.

The post isn’t to diss people who think computers are vital, it’s to show that, if you understand how NDLs work maybe you won’t see the benefit to computers, because you are the computer
:wink:

It’s also cheaper.....

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, he feeds himself for the rest of his life.

The post isn’t to diss people who think computers are vital, it’s to show that, if you understand how NDLs work maybe you won’t see the benefit to computers, because you are the computer

Nonsense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom