Entry Level Dive Comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tables work for square dives.

Computers work for dives with either unpredictable profiles or just plain multi level profiles. If you go on holiday and do four dives a day of tropical reefs where all you know before you get in is the depth of the bottom then tables are basically useless.

If you holiday is a bunch of wrecks in 60m then tables (ok, dive planning SW) are probably as good as tables. Or take two computers and dive to a planned max TTS.

Cheap (compared to the cost of a holiday in Truk or the Galapagos) dive computers have changed how people really dive rather faster than agencies courses. The agencies are catching up with the real world thankfully.

Teaching tables is not teaching deco theory. It is teaching how to operate a complicated manual system. Computers can take away that manual part. If your accountant insisted you turn up in person with paper invoices and a Casio to do your taxes you’d laugh and find another one.

You think you have learned the rule of 60, or seen enough profiles you know in your bones how long a dive should be? How about on day 4 of a four dive a day liveaboard?
Ok you’re right but I would much prefer to see a thinking diver.

Who at least tries to calculate his times, even if he ends up relying on the computer anyway because he f@&%#! it up

Are we in agreement? Or am I still wrong! Haha

Hi lady’s and gents.
I have just finished my PADI OWD and one of the first things I want to buy is a own dive computer.

I am looking for a solid entry level dive computer. Since I will be doing rec dives only.

I‘ve been reading a lot of reviews and forum posts lately and I also started reading some of the articles on deco theory. But I am still not sure which one to get.

At first I was drawn to Suunto Zoop Novo, because they are quite popular (at least in Europe) and easy to operate. But I came across a lot „negative“ comments regarding the RGBM and its conservatism towards certain diving profiles, as well as the lock down. Furthermore critics say that this kind of „autopilot“ prevents the users from making own adjustments/learning about diving profiles as you are advancing.

From my perspective I am not concerned about shorter NDLs at the moment, since I will stay within the OWDs limits. But I am keen to learn more about deco and diving profiles in order to become a better and safer diver.

Hence, I started looking out for alternative entry level dive computer operating an non-proprietary model.

The alternative choice would be the Scubapro Aladin One Matrix. Which features the ZHL 16 ADT and 5 adjustable profiles to add a safety margin, as well as some other nice features like Bluetooth connection.

Which of the two is better in terms of handling and usability in case I should ever move into deeper dives, or use it as a backup computer?

The alternative choice would be the Scubapro Aladin One Matrix. Which features the ZHL 16 ADT and 5 adjustable profiles to add a safety margin, as well as some other nice features like Bluetooth connection.

The new upgraded Aladin One Matrix appears to be a great deal with Bluetooth support. You should also check the new Aqua Lung i300C. The SP Aladin One Matrix and the AL i300C are my top choices.

Interestingly the SP Aladin One Matrix is selling over US$100.00 cheaper in Europe than USA.

My vote is for the Cressi Leonardo. I've used one for over 200 dives and never had any complaints. It's more conservative than some, but not so much that you'll have problems. The only times I had issues were on 4+ dive days. One of the owners of the resort where I got my DM uses a Leonardo, too. When I saw that a guy who could afford pretty much any computer was using that one, I realized I had made the right choice in getting it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom