Equipment Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my van I carry two 7500 dollar bikes, 6000 in scuba gear, and another 8500 in climbing gear. I travel all over the continent. I have had an insurance policy written (special article type) for 30,000 dollars and I pay 22 dollars a month with a 250 deductible. It's a no Brainer to me. I amazes me that people travel with their gear and don't insure it. My policy is good anywhere in North america.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added May 20th, 2014 at 12:07 PM ----------

And my policy covers lost stolen or damaged items as long as it was done by me and my girlfriend.

Which company offers that?

State Farm. I've never made a claim, but I've been assured that I will be covered. I've also meticulously documented with photos all my gear which helps when your talking a high dollar calim.

Homeowners policy covered the contents (minus deductible) when my truck was stolen with many items it.... Auto policy covered vehicle only...

Never thought of a rider as DandyDon mentioned.

If the insurance company can reduce the depression of losing your gear, that's a real bonus!

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you get all new gear, the depression goes away on its own...even depression not associated with the loss of gear goes away :)

Once you get all new gear, the depression goes away on its own...even depression not associated with the loss of gear goes away :)

It does go away once you get new gear but in order to get new gear you will have to come out of pocket at first.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2014 at 01:42 PM ----------

State Farm. I've never made a claim, but I've been assured that I will be covered. I've also meticulously documented with photos all my gear which helps when your talking a high dollar calim.

You are taking the proper steps in making sure all your fun stuff is covered. you don't need to do it this way but it makes it a lot faster and easier when and if you have to file a claim. Rents or homeowners insurance will cover all of this if you have a loss. Well if you have a loss and it is not a commercial operation.

In my van I carry two 7500 dollar bikes, 6000 in scuba gear, and another 8500 in climbing gear. I travel all over the continent. I have had an insurance policy written (special article type) for 30,000 dollars and I pay 22 dollars a month with a 250 deductible. It's a no Brainer to me. I amazes me that people travel with their gear and don't insure it. My policy is good anywhere in North america.

And my policy covers lost stolen or damaged items as long as it was done by me and my girlfriend.
Ok, that's the Personal Articles Policy I'd mentioned early - a separate policy, not a rider, and does not require other State Farm business - altho it might help more even one did have other policies with SF, i.e. discounts, less likely to cancel perhaps.

You are taking the proper steps in making sure all your fun stuff is covered. you don't need to do it this way but it makes it a lot faster and easier when and if you have to file a claim. Rents or homeowners insurance will cover all of this if you have a loss. Well if you have a loss and it is not a commercial operation.
The SF PAP policy is cheap, easy to file claims, no deductible, and they did not try to depreciate my losses. Really hard to beat, altho one might also investigate a Personal Articles rider on their home insurance.

Non-listed property under home insurance will have a deductible, and other considerations.

My insurance company is Safeco for my homeowners. I have what they call replacement coverage on the contents. The truck was insured through my business and my computer with all software etc... Is being replaced with no deductible since I have a data and media rider that covers 100%. The good news is all new dive equipment was purchased today. I replaced exactly as it was since all my gear was relatively new, the regs only hit the water once prior to being jacked. I could have waited for a check but I've got a trip in 3 weeks and wanted to make sure my gear was ready and I at least dive it at a quarry. It's been a pain but the insurance company has been very pleasant.

My insurance company is Safeco for my homeowners. I have what they call replacement coverage on the contents. The truck was insured through my business and my computer with all software etc... Is being replaced with no deductible since I have a data and media rider that covers 100%. The good news is all new dive equipment was purchased today. I replaced exactly as it was since all my gear was relatively new, the regs only hit the water once prior to being jacked. I could have waited for a check but I've got a trip in 3 weeks and wanted to make sure my gear was ready and I at least dive it at a quarry. It's been a pain but the insurance company has been very pleasant.

safeco is is a great company. My insurance with them and I sell for them. They will take care of you for sure. Like I mentioned before it was a very easy process to get everything taken care of. Have a good trip

Not too relevant in this particular case, but something to be aware of is that what insurances DAN provide varies with region.
For one DAN Europe does NOT provide insurance for camera gear - which is the sole reason why they didn't get me as a customer when I traded in my compact for a DSLR rig..

Tigerman, could you tell me who you went with for your equipment insurance? I'm resident in France, so the DAN USA site says they won't insure me. And as you correctly wrote, DAN Europe does not insure cameras (actually, I can't even find where they insure equipment. I used to be with DEPP, out of the States, but they are shut down now. Thanks!

I used a local Norwegian agency called gjensidige. Its a "valuables" insurrance I got with extensive coverage (and strict requirements to get)

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom