Etymology of terms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the origin of the disparaging terms "kool aid drinker" and "stroke" I have seen here relating to DIR and nonDIR?

adurso:
What is the origin of the disparaging terms "kool aid drinker" and "stroke" I have seen here relating to DIR and nonDIR?
"Kool aid drinker" refers to the blind faith of the followers of Jim Jones.

I have no idea where "stroke" came from.

adurso:

Unless you are trolling, which will earn you a mandated "vacation", you should use the search function. Some very good, very amusing explanations will be revealed unto you!

Kool Aid drinker is a reference to the Peoples Temple cult and Jim Jones who had all of his followers commit suicide by drinking Kool Aid laced with poison. It is a reprehensible term for those who are familiar with the history of Jonestown. It is, in my book, little different than calling someone a Nazi and referring to the ovens.

Stroke, as I understand it, originated with George Irvine, former director of the WKPP (www.wkpp.org) who used it to refer to those wannabes who would stroke the ego but were unsafe divers. There are several good explanations on SB already. I do not appreciate those who use the term stroke here on SB.

BigJetDriver69:
Unless you are trolling, which will earn you a mandated "vacation", you should use the search function. Some very good, very amusing explanations will be revealed unto you!
I have used the search function which revealed a host of threads containing the terms, none of which offered an explanation

Uncle Pug:
Kool Aid drinker is a reference to the Peoples Temple cult and Jim Jones who had all of his followers commit suicide by drinking Kool Aid laced with poison. It is a reprehensible term for those who are familiar with the history of Jonestown. It is, in my book, little different than calling someone a Nazi and referring to the ovens.

Stroke, as I understand it, originated with George Irvine, former director of the WKPP (www.wkpp.org) who used it to refer to those wannabes who would stroke the ego but were unsafe divers. There are several good explanations on SB already. I do not appreciate those who use the term stroke here on SB.
Thank you. Where may I find these explanations, as I used the search function and found hosts of threads using the term, but no explanation.

Oh, before the war starts, I ask because any disparaging term used in conjunction with a human being is a form of de-humanization, a psychological mechanism human beings use to justify less than nice behavior towards another. I try to find unusual terms that do not contain cultural triggers to use as examples with my students (college, not dive)

Perhaps an email to George would get you his personal view on how the term came into being.

Be sure to include this in your email and you will get a much more interesting response to share with your students:

"any disparaging term used in conjunction with a human being is a form of de-humanization, a psychological mechanism human beings use to justify less than nice behavior towards another."

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom