Evaluating weight options. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of this depends on where you need to put your weight (and I empathize with the high weight requirements with the Al80 -- I got given two of them and had to add eight pounds from the steel 95's). The DUI harness gives you some flexibility as to how high and how far forward or back you put weight, but it won't put it up between your shoulder blades if that's what you need to do to trim out properly.

The nice thing about the weight pockets (besides the fact that they are way cheaper than the DUI harness) is that you can put them in various places to see how much weight you need high or low on your back to be level. I've got six pounds on the lower camband and two on the upper and have finally got the dratted tanks trimmed out pretty well. (That's with 20 on the weight belt, too.)

I don't know about your BP/W assembly, but mine comes completely apart in less than two minutes. If I take the weights out of the weight pockets, then as Stephen said, all I've got to haul around is the wing, because the plate doesn't need soaking :)

The only time I find the weight pockets a nuisance is when putting the bands on the tank, and I could fix that if I weren't so lazy by putting a triglide on the cambands to hold the pockets in place.

Lots of good replies, thank you all (and thanks for the PM's too!). I'll respond in order:

Stephen: You're in AZ. I'm in BC. They turn the outside water off where I dive in late October or November so I need to take all my gear home to rinse even :) I do appreciate taking out the weight of the pockets now (hadn't thought that all the way through before). Without an STA however, I don't think the Pioneer will be easy to take appart as I would have to remove the tank bands from the BP and that's a pain.

Darnold: Tino picked up the DUI harness since last time we dove with him. It's not as 'sturdy' looking as yours, but seemed to work very well for him today. I tried it and it fits very comfortably on land. I may go that route for now just because it will allow me to continue to try and shave weight and once next fall rolls around I can think about re-distributing weight to a P weight to move some around.

TSandM: I dive with AL80s as well and seem to be ok with trim (for non DIR purposes anyways :wink: ) so I hope that moving the weight up won't be a big issue. I may go and get a p-weight eventually if that becomes necessary. Unless I purchase an STA I won't get mine appart easily though ... I'll keep thinking about the STA option :)

Again, really I appreciate everyones input. :)

Bjorn

Hey Bjorn, I'm in Vancouver as well, dive a Pioneer on a Hammerhead plate and use the DUI weight harness. I LOVE the setup. I used to use 36lbs of weight with a jacket style BC. With the Hammerhead plate and one piece STA (their cold water setup) I now only use about 16 pounds in the harness. It's comfortable and I would recommend the setup for sure.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm going to try and get to a store either today or next week to take a closer look at the DUI harness.

I hate weight belts!! I have a DUI harness, I've used it twice!! In my tech training ditchable weight was not allowed.

I'm 5'10" and 180lbs
With a Drysuit and 300g fleece or 200g Thinsulate

For single Tank diving I use
9lb SS Plate
5lb STA
Steel Tank

No Ditchable weight.

Back
Top Bottom