ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I flamed my mask with no problems! I scrubbed for a while with toothpaste, but without somewhere to try it out, I didn't want to risk having a foggy mask in Turks and Caicos.. It wasn't bone dry from scrubbing it, so it may have been the water/condensation, but I swear I could see the residue receding as I flamed it.

Welcome to the uninformed masses :wink:

J.

Hopefully that wasn't some sort of anti-scratch/optical coating you were watching 'receed'..... :shocked2:

I just flamed my mask today. I'm thinking it was the "antifog" coating that I saw receed, which is good, since the antifog coating was causing my mask to fog.

Now my mask does'nt fog :)

Jason

spit works every time for me.

I was having issues with my mask fogging when my instructor said there's only one way to make sure your mask never fogs, and thats burning it. I had never heard of the concept but was told by my LDS to get toothpaste clean the mask. I was scared to try it, figuring I would ruin my mask.

The next day I asked him about it and he showed me. There is very little risk I would say. He just moved the flame along the surface. There was some black "soot" that developed and at first I was afraid that he killed my nice new mask. He told me this was from the coating being burnt off and was good. No discolored silicone. Just a bad smell for a little bit but I just soaked it while prepping for the dive and didn't notice anything in the water.

The mask is totally fog free, I am glad I burnt my mask.

HOWEVER, I wont touch my SeaVision mask with a flame because apparently you cant (is that right?) but that thing fogs like a b!tch and so it doesnt get much play although I love how it makes things look... when I can actually see out of it.

I have the same concern :( i have a new mask and I did the toothpaste thing several times before using it, it let me down big time during my final dive for my OW course.

If I've counted correctly, a dozen people (including the OP) have now responded that they've flamed one or more masks. No one has reported a problem.

I think it should be noted once again however, to make sure the lens is glass and not one of those cheapo plastic snorkel kit masks.

Maybe if you read between the lines you may count one person reporting a problem with having burned a mask a long time ago. If I remember right, a young kid ended up with a pretty nice mask out of the deal.

I think it should be noted once again however, to make sure the lens is glass and not one of those cheapo plastic snorkel kit masks.
Agreed, although I don't want that kind of mask anywhere near my eyes.
Also avoid flaming any mask with an intentional coating such as a de-fog coating (if it's working).
Maybe if you read between the lines you may count one person reporting a problem with having burned a mask a long time ago. If I remember right, a young kid ended up with a pretty nice mask out of the deal.
I missed that.

I hate the toothpaste because of the smell. I like the slate scrubber.

As to OP, I am now a fan of flaming the mask. Fast, easy, effective. I've done three with lighters. Never a problem, but very stressful. :)

spit works every time for me.

That is part of the pre-dive ritual. The flaming or toothpaste or dishwasher treatments are for a new mask or an occasional cleaning not prior to every dive.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom